2003 Toyota Corolla... 0W20 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm new here, hello everybody.

I'm from france so i'll talk in kilometers and litres.

I'm planning on buying a 2003 toyota corolla. It has 55000kms on it. The engine is the 1.6 3ZZ-FE

I have in my possession some quarts of mazda's 0W20 w/moly.

If i buy the car, the first thing i'll do, as everytime i bought a car, is to flush all the fluids.

Can i throw mazda's 0w20 moly in it ? since it's a timing chain, i'm aware it might be noisier since the viscosity will be lower, but, will it wear faster ? do i have to worry for my engine?

Originally Posted By: gregk24
What does the owners manual say?

Certainly not 0w-20;

If the OP wants to use up some of this oil, just mix 1 liter in with each oil change of 5w-30 etc.

I don't believe that engine is available in the US, but if it is like other Toyotas will be forgiving of an sump of 'slightly lower' viscosity oil.

Originally Posted By: GuillaumeG
Hi,

I'm new here, hello everybody.

welcome2.gif

there was a TGMO(Toyota Genuine Motor Oil)approved application chart(IIRC from toyota of canada) posted on here a while back, and while i do have a copy of it, that copy is very small, and zooming in creates too many distortions and artifacts to be 100% readable, but it looks like, for the 03 Corolla, with either the 1.6, or 1.8l engine, shows approval for 5w30, 5w20, or 0w20(but not 0w30 curiously, maybe they just don't offer a 0w30..)
but that's what it looks like to me through the distortions... i could be wrong..

toyotaoilrecommendation.jpg

I'm sure a more readable/up to date version could be found with a little google work...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sir1900
^^ Op is in France. The North American version of the 03 Corolla is the 1ZZ-FE engine.

yes...which is a 1.8l engine, the 1.8l engine in the vibe in my sig in fact.(The Pontiac Vibe was really a Toyota Matrix, which is more or less the Corolla Wagon)

the chart also shows a 1.6l for the'03 corolla. which wasn't an available option in N.America.
(I did find a better copy thanks to google, it DOES indicate all 3 grades approved for 1.6&1.8l engines for 2003 Corolla's) pdf link

in point of fact, the N. American models used 2 either the 1zz-fe, or the 2zz-ge, both of which were 1.8l engines.

Last edited:
Thank you ! that is great news !

If someone already drives a vvti engine of that era with a timing chain on 0W20 to testimony it's fine, that would be extra great

Thank you ! that is great news !

If someone already drives a vvti engine of that era with a timing chain on 0W20 to testimony it's fine, that would be extra great

105,220 miles and running great in my '08 2AZ-FE VVTi. It has a timing chain. It burns a little bit of oil, but it is common for the 2.4 to do so.

Thanks, we don't get scion tCs here, i've checked it out, it's a gorgeous car, side panels look a bit like our Toyota Auris 3door(1st version).
And [censored], with a 2.4 engine it's got to be nice to drive

Originally Posted By: earlyre

the chart also shows a 1.6l for the'03 corolla. which wasn't an available option in N.America.

the chart is a fake by someone who had only fuzzy idea what engines were in what cars.

IIRC, the tC is based on the Avensis.

Thanks, we don't get scion tCs here, i've checked it out, it's a gorgeous car, side panels look a bit like our Toyota Auris 3door(1st version).
And [censored], with a 2.4 engine it's got to be nice to drive

I have run several OCI's of 0w20 PP in my 2001 1ZZ-FE 1.8L. I experienced nothing different than 5w20 & 5w30. I have just under 80K and have no oil burning.

Originally Posted By: sw99
I have run several OCI's of 0w20 PP in my 2001 1ZZ-FE 1.8L. I experienced nothing different than 5w20 & 5w30. I have just under 80K and have no oil burning.

my oil burning in corolla started at 75000 miles (no synthetic oils used). I'm sure synthetics can delay it some.

Thank you all for your testimonies, i'm going for it ! i'm getting the car sunday, and will spend my week ends : changing the front tires, brake discs/pads, gearbox oil and engine oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back