Alternatives to Hyundai/Kia OEM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
I have a 2012 Kia Forte ex and I will be getting an oem filter next oil change to see if it quiets things down. Should I go to a Kia dealer or a Hyundai dealer? A Hyundai dealer is about a half hour closer to me. I know the 2.0L motor in our forte is made by Hyundai so is a Hyundai filter ok?
they are the same filter, different words

Would help to know what Hyun/Kia this is for. I've used and use Napa Gold/Wix cartridge filters for Hyun/Kia with excellent results. Excellent quality and less than half the cost (when on Napa sale) of the Mahle made oem cart.

As for spin on, depends on what you read. According to my reading of this board, many members here use quality reputable aftermarket filters with solid results. ie, no knock, tick, rattle or whatever description one might choose.

And yes, the Kia and Hyundai oem filters are the same. Just make sure you select the correct engine size application and correct part number.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Buy them in bulk on ebay for about $6 shipped with the oil plug gaskets.

That's the route I'm going to go.

I don't mind spending Mobil 1 or Amsoil filter type of money but I know what I'm getting with those filters. The OEM, not so sure on quality and paying close to the premium oil filter money for an OEM oil filter because the manufacturer says I need to use that filter didn't sound right to me.

I may be wrong, but I believe Hyundai / Kia only have one spin on filter. Unless your car requires a cartridge type, you can't get the wrong one.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
I have used the Mann ML1002, Baldwin B7243 and Hastings LF565 on a 2008 Elantra sedan and a 2011 Elantra Touring SE with absolutely no problems.

I have also used these filters, along with Denso and Mahle, on my 2011 Sorento 2.4L w/o any problems.

That said, you can get OEM filters on eBay for close to $5 including shipping in packs of 4 or more.

For after market filters <$5, go to Rock Auto. Recommend Denso for <$4.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
I have used the Mann ML1002, Baldwin B7243 and Hastings LF565 on a 2008 Elantra sedan and a 2011 Elantra Touring SE with absolutely no problems.

Just stay away from bargain filters.

thumbsup2.gif
I have also used Baldwin #B7243/Hastings #LF565 (as well as Mobil 1 #M1-104, FRAM Ultra #XG9688, Puro P1 #PL14459, Puro Synthetic #PSL14459, Bosch Long Life #L3312, NAPA Silver #31334) with no issues on my Elantra. .... But like others have said, if one would rather stay with the OEM filter, there are places that the Hyundai OEM filter can be bought/ordered at a reasonable price.

Also, visit your dealers' web sites. You might get a better price online than at the parts window...

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Rockauto has the Auto 7 brand for a little over $3 each. They are the same as OEM.

012-0046__ra_p.jpg

Where can I find info on Auto 7 being the same as Hyundia/Kia filters?

Last edited:
The Hyundai OEM is good quality - some posts of them cut open also shows the guts.
My 2010 Tucson had a Pro Select filter on when I bought it - no tick, but was aware of the TSB and bought OEMs for follow-on OCs and been using them since. My last purchase I bought a dozen when I was near a dealer for other reasons.
I think I've read/heard there are some fake OEM look-alikes out there, so I just get mine at the dealer - also have the clear wrap on the open end of the filter. Price did go up one time when my stash got down to one and I went to get more but the price for a quality filter was easily affordable for me, so I'll continue using them unless the price goes crazy stupid

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

However, there have definitely been reports of people getting startup rattle when using non-OEM filters that went away when they switched back to the OEM Hyundai filter.

Sounds like the OEM filter has lower bypass setting than non-OEM. The bypass is open on cold start.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
8 bucks? thats a bargain. try $13 for the oil filter, $40 for a fuel filter (every 15k), and 11 quarts of oil every change. enjoy that 8 bucks
smile.gif

Wow, what car need a new fuel filter every 15K miles? I don't know any car I owned after 2000 had such requirement. Most cars I know have lifetime fuel filter.

How much more would cost them just to make the filters a little bigger? I don't understand OEMs suddenly all have agreement on using tiny filters on new cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back