Stripped Spark Plug Threads, Plug Stuck in Hole

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm doing a spark plug change on a 2005 Ford Explorer with a 4.6 V8. I got all of the plugs changed except for one. This one is apparently stripped. The plug is loose and you can easily turn it by hand, but it won't come out of the cylinder head and is stuck. I can keep turning and turning it but it never comes out. I tried starting the engine, hoping the compression of the cylinder would make it launch out with no luck. Any ideas on how to get it out?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Weld a bolt to its tip then yank on the bolt.

The plugs are deep down in wells. You can't get a welder down in the well.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Are the cylinder heads aluminum?

I'm not sure, they probably are.

Last edited:
Is it a 4.6 3 valve? If so the two piece spark plug is broken. You need the Lisle 65600 tool that JustinH posted the link to.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: exranger06
I'm doing a spark plug change on a 2005 Ford Explorer with a 4.6 V8.

Is it a 3v 4.6L? If yes, then there is work to be done.

I don't have the truck in front of me right now, but I think I remember seeing "4.6 24 valve" on the throttle body. Which would make it a 3 valve. But these plugs don't look like the weird 2 piece plugs that are known for breaking. They look like normal plugs. Also, the whole plug is spinning in the hole. It doesn't appear to be only a broken piece spinning.
Btw, the plugs that were in the there are Motorcraft AGSF32PM. The new plugs are also Motorcraft AGSF32PM.
edit: Never mind, it doesn't say "24 valve" on it. It says "4.6 SOHC." So it should be a 2V.

Last edited:
Long nose pliers (doubtful you can get them all the way down to grab it) or JB weld epoxy putty (not the regular stuff that can run) a cheap throw away plug socket on it and pull up on it while rotating in the direction of removal is all i can think of at the moment.

It unfortunately sounds like stripped threads in the plug hole. Even if you get the plug out you may not be able to screw another plug in. You can try and see what happens. Otherwise you're looking at doing some sort of head thread insert.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back