Brother HL-1240 odd spots resolved

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had this printer going on 15yrs now, no worries. Lately, I've noticed small, repetitive spots appearing from the top down to the bottom. Not toner, but something slightly gooey.

At first, I thought it was due to something on a sheet that went through. So I pulled the cartridge, and used 99% IPA to clean the drum. Wasn't able to get to the pressure roller unfortunately. Put it back together with much better results. Then the spots appeared again. Couldn't for the life of me figure how something gooey was getting inside the printer???

Last night, I filled it with legal paper and noticed bits of black, rotted foam had fallen down into the paper tray! Turns out there is (was) a foam strip with a plastic guide just above the front of the paper tray that had completely rotted. Looks like I'll be in for another drum cleaning. I was able to scrape it all off, then wipe down to remove the sticky residue with IPA.

I'd thought of replacing this old thing due to an Adobe font incompatibility problem I've experienced when printing pdf's. It's been a great printer...if only it printed 11 x 17's.

That's my story....

if you want 11x17 you almost have to go inkjet.

you could replace with a new model laser for
can even find scanner/copier/laser printer models for
my brother dcp-7065dn has been flawless.
also aftermarket toner is available, cheap, and reliable.

Last edited:
I borrowed a friends large inkjet and it sure was handy for sketchup, autocad and schematics. Problem is that if not used regularly, it clogs. Lasers don't do that. HP makes a business class LP that'll do 11x17..my archy has one. $$$$ though...

The new Brothers are nice, very fast and most likely don't have the font issues with pdf's I've been experiencing. Odd problem that....

The falling/failing sticky foam thing really threw me for a loop.....

sure you can buy business class anything, 4ft wide ones with air suction to move giant paper through.. I just meant at a normal store.

I hear you about inkjets clogging. That and you use half the ink doing cleaning cycles.

for example in 30s I found
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/HP-oJ-7...ramIdentifier=3

11x17 for if you use it every day for work they are ok. I wouldnt want to use it once a week or less though.

hp laserjet 9000n(used) 700$ or xerox phaser 7100(new) are both tabloid size but both have issues and are expensive.(laser)

looking at 1000$+ for anything decent

Let's not get too carried away here Rand! His is a business class laser capable of printing 11x17's, but it wasn't 4' wide nor did it have air suction. It did sit on top of a bookcase.

Right now I'm printing out lots of electronic schematics. I could 'mosaic' them, but usually take them to a copy shop for enlargement to 18 x 24 for easier reading. B&W is fine. I go blind reading these otherwise....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back