Redline 5w40 VOA. What do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALUMINUM 1
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 1
COPPER 1
LEAD 0
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 566
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 5
BORON 111
SILICON 14
SODIUM 14
CALCIUM 2719
MAGNESIUM 9
PHOSPHORUS 1090
ZINC 1181
BARIUM 0

INSOLUBLES TR
WATER 0
FLASHPOINT ºF 440
SUS VIS 210ºF 77.1
cSt @ 212ºF 14.8

was this 10w40 car oil

doesn't look as impressive as some of their other oils, looks competitive to something like a mobil1 though. Assuming its not a $14 per quart oil.

Im more familiar with the their mc oils where the base oil starts out with a much higher flash point. That stems directly from the quality of the base oil.

This doesn't look like a very clean oil.
Lots of contaminants that shouldn't be there.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
This doesn't look like a very clean oil.
Lots of contaminants that shouldn't be there.

or the lab was fail running the voa.

Originally Posted By: Horvath819
It's just Redline's high performance 5w40 for gasoline engines

Is it their Euro (low SAPS) version of 5W-40, or the regular one (I am guessing NOT due to the higher zinc and phos. levels)?

The moly level seems a little low compared to the rest of their street line up.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Horvath819
It's just Redline's high performance 5w40 for gasoline engines

So that excuses the measured levels of sodium, potassium and silicon?
There's even a little magnesium, which can be an additive, but not at the minor levels seen here.
This looks like a dirty, dirty oil.
What lab did this VOA, since there was the suggestion that the lab could have been at fault?

Sounds good, but what about the silicon and postassium?
Why is there a trace amount of mag?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Sounds good, but what about the silicon and postassium?
Why is there a trace amount of mag?

Many of these issues have been previously addressed.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=121989

Quote:

We have to remember that sodium and potassium are used in anti-corrosion, rust inhibiting, and in metal deactivators as well.

Of course, because it is in there doesn't mean it was added for that particular purpose.

As with one members multipage rant about Redline and TEOST test in which Redline had to step in and quell the misinformation, it is better to ask them than jump to conclusions.

Last edited:
There IS a definite anti-Red Line bias on this site, well, at least a sizable faction of members on here anyway.

I'm guessing because it just goes against their obsessive austerity/frugality principles, and they feel a need to impose those viewpoints on others?
(And if so, do they also feel the same way about; smoking cancer sticks, drinking alcohol, gambling of ANY sort, recreational drug use, excessive firearm/ammo stockpiling, etc.????)
21.gif

I'm currently running Redline 10w40 in my Shelby with nearly 700hp. Will be doing a UOA on it soon to see how good or bad it did.

This oil may use a very subtle and sophisticated collection of adds, based upon what I've read in other Red Line threads.
The silicon may be an add, as may the potassium and the mag certainly isn't doing any harm, although I can't see it doing much of anything at the level shown in this VOA.
I may be wrong in that this may not be a dirty oil at all, merely one that uses certain elements in ways not typically seen.
All of this is very interesting and Red Line has always been on my list of oils I'd like to try.
I know that most of those who use it swear by it and it is very popular among those who track their cars.
Thanks to the OP for having had a VOA done and posting it.

lol no problem man, im sure a lot of ppl wanted to see a VOA on this oil. Here is what Blackstone Labs said about this VOA sample of the Redline 5w40:

"TYLER: This is a virgin sample of Red Line 5W/40 and it's in serviceable condition. The traces of metals aren't unusual for a virgin oil, so they aren't a problem. The main anti-wear additives are molybdenum,phosphorus, and zinc. The detergent/dispersant additives are boron, calcium, and small amounts of sodium and magnesium. The silicon is an anti-foaming additive. The trace of insolubles are probably just additive that fell out of suspension. No moisture was found and the viscosity was on the mark for a 5W/40. This oil should work well for its intended application."

Not really but I figured 5w40 might give me a little better start up protection than 10w40. And I looked on Redline's site and their 5w40 is actually a little bit thicker at temp than their 10w40 which is what I want

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back