Hankook Optimo H727 - I'm Disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought 2 front front of Toyota Avalon on 1/03/10. Value stem leaking took off tire and surprised at the wear, will need to replace before winter. Wal Mart claimed tire is dry rotted and they can't replace valve. Cracks where treads are.

Got only 22,832 miles on tire, plus dry rotted. Never rotated the tires or re-balanced, my bad, since only 4500 miles a years are put on car.

The mentioned tire, Hankook, has good ratings on Tire Rack and Consumer Reports, then and now.

Order two, General Altimax RT43, from tirebuyer.com on 3:30 pm Thur got to my city late Fri and ready for delivery this Monday.

I am not sure the lack of rotation is what did them in. I have a set of Hankook Optimo H426 as OEM on my 2014 Explorer. After 25K miles they are showing considerable wear and I rotated them every 6K miles. I think Hankook is just a cheap tire that wears like a cheap tire.

When were they manufactured? If you bought them from walmart it wouldn't surprise me if they were sitting on shelves for 5 years.

Forgot to add in post that tire had a short shelf life made in the 45 week of 2009 and bought on 1-03-10, from Tire Rack, which is why I like to buy online.

The tire still has legal meat on it BUT since it's used in winter to me the tread is not adequate. Tire wear is greater on the front since the engine weight is being carried. Rotating equalizes the tire wear.

Last edited:
Hankook have very spotty quality. They are not cheap either so I would avoid them. I have never known anyone to actually have a set and like them. They perform poor in snow, rain anything but dry conditions.

Originally Posted By: ronbo
Forgot to add in post that tire had a short shelf life made in the 45 week of 2009 and bought on 1-03-10, from Tire Rack, which is why I like to buy online.

The tire still has legal meat on it BUT since it's used in winter to me the tread is not adequate. Tire wear is greater on the front since the engine weight is being carried. Rotating equalizes the tire wear.

Weight has nothing to do with it, you drive a FWD car.

Bought 2 front front of Toyota Avalon on 1/03/10. Value stem leaking took off tire and surprised at the wear, will need to replace before winter. Wal Mart claimed tire is dry rotted and they can't replace valve. Cracks where treads are.

Got only 22,832 miles on tire, plus dry rotted. Never rotated the tires or re-balanced, my bad, since only 4500 miles a years are put on car.

The mentioned tire, Hankook, has good ratings on Tire Rack and Consumer Reports, then and now.

Order two, General Altimax RT43, from tirebuyer.com on 3:30 pm Thur got to my city late Fri and ready for delivery this Monday.

Tried once 10 years ago summer tire, once winter tire like 12 yrs ago, and never again.
Kumho is even worse.

Never been a Hankook fan, the bad part is the H727 is about there best looking tire quality wise. Looks just like the old Mich. Energy LX4 IMO.

I know when I worked at Saturn the H725 was a joke. Lots of warranty on those on the AURA and they were quickly replaced by Firestone FR710s in production.

Conti, Pirelli, Michelin, and their "captive brands". Some Goodyears designed for the European market. Otherwise, throw the dice. I've had good results with Yoki and Bridgestone as well.

Last edited:
I have a set on my mini van. H727
Lasting very well. Quiet and smooth. Good on ice and dry pavement.
Easy to spin the fronts in the rain.
I have no proof but I swear the gas mileage went down with them.

I would buy them again.

Interesting...my sister's car came from the factory with Hankook Optimo K415 and never in my life have I seen a tire going downhill so fast. After about 15k miles and 3 years the tires although had plenty of thread left on them, they showed an insane amount of cracks due to dry rot.

They're not all bad-we've had the OEM Dynapro AS on our E-250 vans last beyond 100K (not my van, city roads killed them by 55K), but they seem to be a luck of the draw thing. Kumho is the same way, I've had them last 40K & still be OK, & I've had them worn out by 15K.

I was very impressed with my h727's, they were excellent in the snow and very quiet tires, not the best handling tire but that's not what I bought them for. They lasted about 15k miles on my 97 civic before I put them on my lowered Integta and got another 20k miles out of them riding on -3 camber with normal rotations.

Last edited:
A few specific questions:
-Exactly how much tread is left in 32/nds?
-Are they worn evenly?
-Pics of the cracking needed to judge

I'm going to say there's something else at play here if they really are worn out at 22k miles. I had a set of H727 and they still had a good bit of tread after more than 40k miles. At that point I sold the vehicle.

You're failure to rotate played a part.

Perhaps whatever caused this tire to wear so fast would have also caused another brand of tire to wear at an accelerated rate.

Are we sure this isn't just exaggerated info being spouted by walmart? While any 5-year-old tire will have some cracking, I find it hard to believe it's cracked enough they are not able to replace the valve stem.

My recent experiences with Walmart's tire department have been overwhelming negative and I wouldn't put a lot of faith in their claims without having it verified.

Did the stem leak cause uneven wear on the tire?

Well, the H727 has more of a mid-pack rating on CR. It's not near the top. It's been outstripped in recent years by newer tire designs. However, it still is one of the best rated tires in winter conditions. Winter performance was one of the main reasons I bought them.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
A few specific questions:
-Exactly how much tread is left in 32/nds?
-Are they worn evenly?
-Pics of the cracking needed to judge

I'm going to say there's something else at play here if they really are worn out at 22k miles. I had a set of H727 and they still had a good bit of tread depth after more than 40k miles. At that point I sold the vehicle.

You're failure to rotate played a part.

Perhaps whatever caused this tire to wear so fast would have also caused another brand of tire to wear at an accelerated rate.

Are we sure this isn't just exaggerated info being spouted by walmart? While any 5-year-old tire will have some cracking, I find it hard to believe it's cracked enough they are not able to replace the valve stem.

My recent experiences with Walmart's tire department have been overwhelming negative and I wouldn't put a lot of faith in their claims without having it verified.

Did the stem leak cause uneven wear on the tire?

Well, the H727 has more of a mid-pack rating on CR. It's not near the top. It's been outstripped in recent years by newer tire designs. However, it still is one of the best rated tires in winter conditions. Winter performance was one of the main reasons I bought them.

I have faith in my local Wal Mart tire dept that I use them only for install. I buy my tires online. The tread portion has the dry rot with some groves along the tread and the thread is too worn for me anyway. I was going to get the value stem replaced since the spare I have is 14 years old and was never on the car. That said I have it on and use the car slightly.
see this link NOT me but similar with mine more rotted but tread depth about the same
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2349627

If you go to Tire Rack the owners of the Hankook optima H747 rate it high and out of about 600 reviews 88% would buy again. My new General tires will be here Monday 5-18-15.

Hankook was also bought for it's winter conditions.

Last edited:
Again, we'd need to see your tires to judge the cracking and an exact tread depth measurement to really know how worn they are.

I suspect if you maintain your complete lack of rotation and other conditions the same you'll get accelerated wear on your new tires, too.

If you go to Tire Rack the owners of the Hankook optima H747 rate it high and out of about 600 reviews 88% would buy again.

I personally don't put a ton of faith in mass reviews like this, as I think many people who fill them out don't really know what they're talking about.

But, this Tire Rack info seems to reinforce the idea that it's something about your car, your driving, your lack of rotation, etc., that are causing your accelerated wear.

To add to my original post, after 22,832 miles I measured the tread and it's 3/32 through the tire and it's my bad since I should have rotated them every 6,000 miles.

I've had good experience with them on my Saturn and just bought two sets for my Civic and Mom's Elantra (107 and 163 after rebates) from DTD.

I do believe one of the pluses on them (info from here and web research) was that although T-rated, they have cap plies like an H-rated tire. So they should be better constructed.

I thought the 'Optimo' 727 was one of their better tires, we have a set on a Vibe. They are about 3 years old with over 25k on them I would think, no adverse issues.

Not enough excitement for me to want another set though. I went in and the dealer was kinda big on them. I thought I would give them a try. I do Winter tread for snow, so no real cold season driving with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back