09 VW Passat 5400 mi Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
First UOA for this vehicle with 43,500 miles with the TSI motor. Oil in use about 5 months and 5,400 miles during winter. .5qt or less makeup oil, Mann OEM filter. Any insight would be appreciated.

Switching to Castrol 0w-40 Euro as it was $21 (5qt) at Walmart compared to this oil which was $44 (6qt).

Iron seems to be on the high side,and wow, quite the zinc package.
Otherwise, best to run 3 UOAs in a row and track trends, hard to tell from one UOA.

Quite a bit of TBN depletion, possibly because it's your first time running this oil, plus winter driving.

The report looks fine to me.

EDIT: on a side note, this oil does not contain moly, so whatever moly you're seeing on this report must be leftover from your previous oil change.

Thank you both for the responses. Interesting to see any trends in the future.

EDIT: I forgot to note the previous oil was from the VW dealership, likely Castrol OE Professional...maybe that has moly in it.

Last edited:
Pete: I disagree with your last statement. The last UOA that I had performed with this oil showed 49 ppm of Moly.

UOA link

The previous two OCI's before this were with Pennzoil Euro 5W40 as well.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Quite a bit of TBN depletion, possibly because it's your first time running this oil, plus winter driving.

The report looks fine to me.

EDIT: on a side note, this oil does not contain moly, so whatever moly you're seeing on this report must be leftover from your previous oil change.

Last edited:
All I'm saying is that a VOA of this oil contains no moly, so there has to be another source of it in the UOA sample.

Unless there was a change in formulation recently...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back