mobil1 ep or pennzoil platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All im really looking for is a filter to run the OLM all the way 2 0%. I dont mind useing a acdelco just wondering about other filters to run tht long.

Fram makes a synthetic filter if you want that. I have ran fram without any problems. As I stated GM made the car and ACDelco which if you read manual they recommend the ACDelco filter and run OLM or 1 year. I just can't bring myself to run that long. 5k is max for me. Worked at Toyota and GM which I had to replace many motors that had oil receipts for 7500 mile oil changes due to sludge. I know it was regular oil not synthetic. Just a personal preference after what I seen. GM was run to OLM was sludging up using OLM at around 85k and Toyota was 7500 both by manual. Synthetics are definitely a major step up.

I only use syn on my cars. This is my first car with an olm and im just nervous running all the way 2 0% even though its calibrated to conv oil. Lol

I would much rather have a Classic Ac over an ecore version, I have seen them at parts stores.

Either oil will easily handle your OLM interval, I did get a good bit of consumption when I put M1 in my older Chevy 3.4 FWIW.

Both are good oils. My personal preference and what I've been running across the board on all my vehicles the last 2 years is Mobil 1 EP. Before that I used regular Mobil 1 the last 25+ years. I don't like AC Delco filters due to 3 I had fail on me a few years ago and I posted those details on here. I use Bosch filters with no complaints and run the OLM down to about 10% which averages about 6000 miles for me. I realize EP is overkill for my use and I could get by with any oil - I like the extra protection. UOA's have been fine.

Just my 2c.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I would much rather have a Classic Ac over an ecore version, I have seen them at parts stores.

Either oil will easily handle your OLM interval, I did get a good bit of consumption when I put M1 in my older Chevy 3.4 FWIW.

Agree, Ecores are at the bottom of the totem pole.
If the filter ADBV is black nitrile, it stays on the store shelf when I visit that aisle of the auto parts store.

WIX, Napa Gold or Fram Tough Guard are all I purchase these days. I run them for 10-12K (two OCIs)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Alright so PP it is. I really don't wanna put a fram on my car. How about an acdelco?

I'm not a big fan of the AC Delco e core but if you can find the AC Delco with steel center tube go for it. The Fram Tough Guards are really good though. Lots of bad information floating around. They are 99% efficient at 20 microns which is among the highest efficiency ratings you can get, last I checked ac delco was less than 94% efficient at 20 microns.

The tough guards are also rated for 7,500 mile intervals, they have a high glass content synthetic blend media and also use a silicone anti drain back valve which is the best material for that.

I would recommend a Fram Ultra but it's over kill for this application, rated for 15,000 miles between changes with dual layer full synthetic media, I consider them the best filter on the market for the price. Fram Ultras exceed 99% efficiency at 20 microns and also 80%@5 microns.

Acdelco e core? Whats the difference. I usally just pick an acdelco off the shelf at walamrt...

If you're at Walmart getting oil filters, get the Fram Ultra for the best filtration. Avoid ANY AC Delco oil filter with an "e" at the end of the part number. For example, the PF63 is a decent oil filter, but the PF63E oil filter isn't. A lot of the new AC Delco PF part numbers have been replaced with e core oil filters. Avoid the e core oil filters.

Alright so PP it is. I really don't wanna put a fram on my car. How about an acdelco?

I'm not a big fan of the AC Delco e core but if you can find the AC Delco with steel center tube go for it. The Fram Tough Guards are really good though. Lots of bad information floating around. They are 99% efficient at 20 microns which is among the highest efficiency ratings you can get, last I checked ac delco was less than 94% efficient at 20 microns.

The tough guards are also rated for 7,500 mile intervals, they have a high glass content synthetic blend media and also use a silicone anti drain back valve which is the best material for that.

I would recommend a Fram Ultra but it's over kill for this application, rated for 15,000 miles between changes with dual layer full synthetic media, I consider them the best filter on the market for the price. Fram Ultras exceed 99% efficiency at 20 microns and also 80%@5 microns.

Well looking around on here i think ill try the fram tough guard and some PP. I got a lil under 2k till my next oil change.

Well looking around on here i think ill try the fram tough guard and some PP. I got a lil under 2k till my next oil change.
Sounds perfect for olm. I would probably get a uoa after the first time stretching it that far. Just to get a idea of if you could farther or a little less if you had to. My guess is you could farther.

Here soon the impala will b due for an oil change and i want to go run the OLM all the way down to 0%. Im trying to decide between mobil1 ep or new pennzoil platinum. Also what would b a good oil filter to run? Ive used acdelco and mobil1 filters before.

Hi gabriel9766, our Pennzoil Platinum with PurePlus Technology Full Synthetics would be the best choice for your Impala. PurePlus Technology is our patented, revolutionary gas-to liquid process that converts natural gas to an extremely high quality full synthetic base stock (it is crystal clear with fewer of the traditional & synthetic motor oils). From that pure, clear base we add our unique Active Cleansing Agent to create Pennzoil Platinum, a motor oil designed for COMPLETE PROTECTION, without compromise. In fact, it has been tested - and shown - to keep pistons up to 40% cleaner than required by the toughest industry standards.

With regard to your filter - a standard OEM oil filter would be fine for your engine. Hope this helps! - The Pennzoil Team

Originally Posted By: 2sld3kf2bt
I use PP in my impala. Forget the OLM and run it 7500 to 10k miles with a fram ultra filter.

I usally run it down 2 20% before I change it. But when I switch to PP ill do a full olm. Still indecisive about my oil filter tho.

Last edited:
Something to think about is that in the 5 at container the Pennzoil Ultra is $27.97 and the Platinum is $25.14 at wally world. So far less than three dollars you can get the Ultra. But PP is really good too
smile.gif

You already been given a number of good oil filter choices.. But get a good air filter on there too in you haven't already. Hope you have a good holiday weekend this weekend too

If there's a Fram Ultra filter available for your vehicle, opt for that and be done with it. I just picked up another XG7317 tonight (two of my very different vehicles use the same filter).

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Something to think about is that in the 5 at container the Pennzoil Ultra is $27.97 and the Platinum is $25.14 at wally world. So far less than three dollars you can get the Ultra. But PP is really good too
smile.gif

You already been given a number of good oil filter choices.. But get a good air filter on there too in you haven't already. Hope you have a good holiday weekend this weekend too

It's got an k&n air filter in it. And u have a good holiday weekend 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back