"Micro-Aggression". "Trigger Warning". Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been hearing the term "Micro-Aggression" & "Trigger Warning" for Teens & young 20-somethings.

Discussion without getting political, so:

Is this what's things are coming to?
What happens when they hit the real world, or is the real world going to cater to them soon?
What are their kids going to be like?

Last edited:
This is a relatively recent and very bizarre development in higher "education".

Brown University ‘safe room’ shelters students from reality

From the article: "The room itself seems to serve the purpose of infantilizing whoever feels the need to enter it and is supposed to take the students’ minds off of whatever they have just seen. The room contains all the staples of a daycare center, complete with Play-Doh, coloring books, bubbles, pillows and blankets, videos of puppies and more."

triggered.jpg

Originally Posted By: Atesz792
Where have half the comments gone?

Got yanked no doubt- I guess people just could resist the temptation to make snarky political based remarks.

Originally Posted By: Turk
Been hearing the term "Micro-Aggression" & "Trigger Warning" for Teens & young 20-somethings.

What happens when they hit the real world, or is the real world going to cater to them soon?

There's a 50+ page thread on this forum full of adults bickering, arguing, and acting out over a light fixture.

It seems that kids aren't the only ones with micro-aggression who can't handle interactions in the real world.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer

There's a 50+ page thread on this forum full of adults bickering, arguing, and acting out over a light fixture.

It seems that kids aren't the only ones with micro-aggression who can't handle interactions in the real world.

Bingo. We are getting a lot of old man complaint threads. Anybody remember the member who was "triggered" by bare feet in public?

Originally Posted By: silverrat
Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer

Bingo. We are getting a lot of old man complaint threads. Anybody remember the member who was "triggered" by bare feet in public?

Pee in the cowl! PEEEEEE IN THE COWL!!!! LMAO!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: Atesz792
Where have half the comments gone?

Got yanked no doubt- I guess people just could resist the temptation to make snarky political based remarks.

My post disappeared, and while not particularly insightful, it was not political. I'm surprised at the censorship of individual posts while the thread as a whole remains up.

Is this an example of the micro-aggression that was referred to in the OP?

Have I triggered others, or have I been triggered myself?

Please help me understand.

The idea that one should be able to go through life without being offended, "triggered", or whatever is ludicrous. Young people are often taught that they can approach sexual activity with reckless abandon (as long as they have "consent" of the partner(s)), but a college professor must avoid any mention of sexual violence, due to "triggering".

Sexual violence, is, unfortunately, a part of human history, both ancient and modern. It is impossible to live without encountering negativity, and references to violence.

I am not a victim of rape, and I have nothing but sympathy for those who are. However, the idea that one can run off to a "safe room" with puppies, bubbles, and teddy bears every time one hears a "triggering" phrase or statement is certainly not helpful. Most of growing up is learning to deal with the cards life has dealt us.

More insane nonsensical ideas, the question is
WHOM is generating them? And why the heck would anyone
with the least bit of common sense listen to them?

Originally Posted By: Stelth
The idea that one should be able to go through life without being offended, "triggered", or whatever is ludicrous. Young people are often taught that they can approach sexual activity with reckless abandon (as long as they have "consent" of the partner(s)), but a college professor must avoid any mention of sexual violence, due to "triggering".

Sexual violence, is, unfortunately, a part of human history, both ancient and modern. It is impossible to live without encountering negativity, and references to violence.

I am not a victim of rape, and I have nothing but sympathy for those who are. However, the idea that one can run off to a "safe room" with puppies, bubbles, and teddy bears every time one hears a "triggering" phrase or statement is certainly not helpful. Most of growing up is learning to deal with the cards life has dealt us.
There is always the conundrum of how women dress vs what women want. Common sense....out the window.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Too many young folks that are spoiled brats with no self control.

They're always "wicked sorry" when the Greybar doors slam shut though.

Originally Posted By: R80RS
This is a relatively recent and very bizarre development in higher "education".

Brown University ‘safe room’ shelters students from reality

From the article: "The room itself seems to serve the purpose of infantilizing whoever feels the need to enter it and is supposed to take the students’ minds off of whatever they have just seen. The room contains all the staples of a daycare center, complete with Play-Doh, coloring books, bubbles, pillows and blankets, videos of puppies and more."
Half of Camp Bruno is filled with grasping opportunists and the other half with the otherwise undistinguished sons and daughters of those who have already made or inherited it. "Legacy admission" is the term used to accept someone like Jimmy Boy Carter's kid, who set a record for most unpaid parking tickets in Providence, and never got a degree.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back