Closest available ATF to Dexron (1974)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the closest available ATF to Dexron (no number after, just Dexron, circa 1974).

Fluid is low (and has clearly been changed before since it's pink). I have no idea what's in there now, but need to top it off with something for the time being. I'd like to use whatever is closest in friction and viscosity to the original spec.

I will eventually drain, clean any screens, and refill. But, for now I need to be able to drive it.

Last edited:
Application? Dexrons should be relatively backwards compatible, though I wouldn't go getting dex vi.

Any brand name D/M fluid should work ok.

Use any store or name brand conventional dex/merc equivalent

What year make model transmission?

I wouldn't worry about the friction/viscosity on an older trans. I'd worry more about vacuum modulator, kick down adjustment, and previous rebuilds quality.

Top it off with whatever you have.

Back in the day, the transmission was designed around the fluid. Today they fluid is designed around the transmission. Seeing you have a "back in the day" car, most any universal fluid will work fine. If it shifts rough, there are plenty of good additives to change shifting characteristics. Keep in mind, dose the additive and it might take 50 miles or so for the additive to fully mix in.

My guess is, if you put any universal fluid in there, you will be fine, no additives needed.

Originally Posted By: bmod305
Napa# 75-200 made by Valvoline. 6,000+ Napa stores will carry it.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catalo...5200_0274140291

Don't use any Dex VI fluid. It is technically backward compatible, but it is a low viscosity fluid vs old Dexron.

Dave

It starts out thinner but after some use Dex III will be thinner in comparison to equally used Dex VI. Older Dexron shears far worse than DexVI.

Originally Posted By: bmod305

Don't use any Dex VI fluid. It is technically backward compatible, but it is a low viscosity fluid vs old Dexron.

However, used DEXRON-VI is significantly higher viscosity than used DEXRON-III so the quoted statement is, let's be kind, uninformed.

Dex III replaced I and II 20 years ago now so there's plenty of its use in older transmissions to prove it won't cause any problems.

Originally Posted By: moklock
Dex III replaced I and II 20 years ago now so there's plenty of its use in older transmissions to prove it won't cause any problems.

DEXRON-VI replaced DEXRON-III in 2005 and is the only current approved, controlled, product so for a DEXRON ATF that is certainly the best choice.
One has to beware of products labelled as 'suitable for', 'recommended', etc, and in my opinion, steer well away.

Last edited:
A tranny that old, I would use Dexron III...

Use the same in my Saturn SL...

Read the bottle carefully..., some are Dexron VI...

The problem with that is that since DEXRON-III is now an obsolete specification you can no longer purchase a product that can be relied on to be a DEXRON-III, no matter what the label claims. DEXRON -VI is a better option as it replaces all previous DEXRON ATFs and is a current approved product.

Castrol Transmax Dex/Merc meets the requirements for Dexron fluid. I have two vehicles ('94 Toyota and '99 Mazda) I use this fluid on with good results. The fluid is easy to find in my area also. Some Walmarts even carry it.

From the Castrol msds sheet...
Meets DEXRON®-IIIH requirements. Also satisfies requirements of DEXRON®, DEXRON®-III, IIE and II. Do not use this ATF in applications calling for DEXRON®-VI. Use Castrol Transmax™ Type F ATF in applications calling for Type F.

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/ACA4A5252B86FEC580257AA9005367AF/$File/Castrol_Transmax_DEX_MERC_03520.pdf

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
The problem with that is that since DEXRON-III is now an obsolete specification you can no longer purchase a product that can be relied on to be a DEXRON-III, no matter what the label claims. DEXRON -VI is a better option as it replaces all previous DEXRON ATFs and is a current approved product.

If worried about meeting the specification get TES 389 fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back