Michelin Premier review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its been a 1000 miles now since I put them on the Camry. So far the ride has been quiet and smooth! Last weekend I had the fun time of driving in a torrential downpour for 60 miles. I got to say the Premiers stick down like glue! Cant say that with the Prime wells that were on there.

Handling is improved but we are talking a Camry here!
I would recommend them. Not had a chance to evaluate traction in snow.

Thanks! Looking forward to more reviews from you as the miles roll on!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Im totally pleased. it is more to drive on curvy roads.

Oh there is some tire noise on grooved concrete but its slight.

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
Im totally pleased. it is more to drive on curvy roads.

Oh there is some tire noise on grooved concrete but its slight.

Yeah, any tire will make some noises/sounds on different pavement surfaces. I currently have Primacy MXV4's on the 2015 Altima that I just added to my signature. And, they are very quiet but, on certain paved roads, they even have their noisy spot!

Same can be said for the G/Y Assurance Comfort Treads that I had previously on my wife's Lexus RX. And the G/Y ACT's were very quiet as well!
wink.gif

We can't have it all!
laugh.gif
We just have to find tires that best fit our personal criteria.

Last edited:
I put them on my Subaru last October and overall they've been great. When I first put them on it felt like it took more gas to get the car moving versus the old tires, and my gas mileage has dropped since I've put them on. However, I've since gotten used to them, and most people haven't noticed that after getting them installed on their vehicles.

As for performance, they've done very well in everything I've driven them in. On smooth asphalt they're very smooth and quiet, though on concrete with horizontal grooves they get this high pitched whine where you can listen to the pitch of it rise and fall with your driving speed as you accelerate or slow down. They've been great in the rain, and we didn't get much snow this year but I did drive it in some ice, about 4 inches of wet snow/slush, and about 8-9 inches or regular snow, and they performed significantly better than the original tires did.

I keep saying I'm going to write a review of them now that I've put some miles on them and have driven them through different weather conditions, but the thought never occurs to me when I have the time to sit down and write it out. Overall though I'd recommend them to anyone who's looking for a very good all around tire.

Its been a 1000 miles now since I put them on the Camry. So far the ride has been quiet and smooth! Last weekend I had the fun time of driving in a torrential downpour for 60 miles. I got to say the Premiers stick down like glue! Cant say that with the Prime wells that were on there.

Comparing Michelin Premier with Prime Wells is like comparing BMW M3 with Hyundai Excel.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Comparing Michelin Premier with Prime Wells is like comparing BMW M3 with Hyundai Excel.

This

I will also recommend the premiers.
I ended up with them on my forester(long story)

so far my impressions,
flatspotting- feels like 4 square tires but it disappears within 1/2 mile.
Great wet traction
Great wet handling
Good dry traction
Steering feels fairly light(neither a con or a plus)
Balanced very well no road force balance but smooth even at 80-85mph

Is rough over expansion joints definitely not class leading for comfort.
MPG is near what the oem tires were.
Not energy savers but not kumho UHP mpg suckers either.

There was a noticeable break-in period for me but only about 200miles.. They did continue to improve slightly for the first 1000miles or so.

I wanted cooper cs5 ultra touring but 2 of my 4 tires wouldn't balance(out of round). DT cut me a really good $$$ deal on these premiers.. Fairly happy so far. My main objection to the premiers is their high price.

Last edited:
Aside from price, I have zero complaints about my set of Premiers. I have over 7k on my set now and they have been phenomenal in the rain, track very well and are a very nice riding tire. The noise is a bit higher than when they were new, but are still quieter than what the Primacy MXM4 were.

From a treadwear standpoint, I am at 7/32 on the front pair after 7,000 miles. I will be doing my first rotation this week.

I just want to see how long these expensive tires last with only 8.5/32 tread. And to think they charge more for less tire!

When do you think Michelin will release an updated version with the full 10/32? "Premier Plus" or "Premier 2"

@Critic, what is the tread depth on the rear tires?

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

I will get measurements for you this week. Even if these only last 40k, at least from what I've experienced so far, I would be more than willing to buy them again.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Our Fit is getting these in 185/55-16 sometime this week. Finally a decent tire in the OEM size.

The choices in that size are definitely quite limited. But man, $150/tire in that size is a bit steep...even by my standards.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: sciphi
Our Fit is getting these in 185/55-16 sometime this week. Finally a decent tire in the OEM size.

The choices in that size are definitely quite limited. But man, $150/tire in that size is a bit steep...even by my standards.

but they are 144$ each with a 160$ rebate right now from DTD.

so not horrible... about 520$ installed after rebate and tax.

a cheapo option would be
Falken Pro G4 A/S
which are 360-135mir right now for 4
or 225$+tax on 360+install= ~~325$ installed.

They are one of falken's newest tires and are actually above average but possibly somewhat noisy.

I'll skip on the Falkens for right now. Wet braking is a priority for this car and its use. Gambling the Falkens will have it isn't a gamble I want to take right now. I paid $580 (installation + tax + road hazard warranty included) at a local warehouse club for the Premiers. Well worth it considering that the warehouse club will get a new tire in that hard to find size pretty quickly instead of waiting a week for shipping, and then paying again for installation.

I put Premiers on my son's X3; no complaints- the tire suits the truck quite well.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
I just want to see how long these expensive tires last with only 8.5/32 tread. And to think they charge more for less tire!

When do you think Michelin will release an updated version with the full 10/32? "Premier Plus" or "Premier 2"

Just measured all 4. They're all at about 7/32, maybe a hair more. 7700 miles on the tires as of today.

Originally Posted By: bourne
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

This

+1 Thinking the same. Like going from the outhouse to the penthouse.

After my 30 day trail experience with Conti DWS, the one Premier flatspotting anecdote would have me on guard. But thinking nothing like my DWS experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back