clutch type LSD and the no. of clutch disks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it always "more is better" in terms of the number of disks or is there a "sweet spot" where the rest is marketing vs cost?

It depends on the weight of the vehicle, size of the diff, tire and wheel size, etc. There is no "sweet spot" for the number of disc in the clutch pack.
The more disc it has the greater the surface area of the clutch and the more torque it can handle like an auto trans or motor cycle clutch.

No, as long as they all fit where they are supposed to go..
I know one of the mods for years on the factory Ford 8.8 LSD has been to save two of the original clutch discs and then to rebuild it "+1" on each side. It makes it really tight but it usually works.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
I know one of the mods for years on the factory Ford 8.8 LSD has been to save two of the original clutch discs and then to rebuild it "+1" on each side. It makes it really tight but it usually works.

Yup, and then you put the F150 S-Spring in there also. Thankfully I don't have to worry about that on my '14 since it has a factory Torsen T-2 and I am getting a T-2R for my 95.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

Yup, and then you put the F150 S-Spring in there also. Thankfully I don't have to worry about that on my '14 since it has a factory Torsen T-2 and I am getting a T-2R for my 95.

I'd put the T2R in the new one as well (it DESERVES it, even if it is not the 'race car').
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I'd put the T2R in the new one as well (it DESERVES it, even if it is not the 'race car').
wink.gif

Haha well the 95 is still a bit away. Still trying to save up for everything I need and I keep buying stupid stuff like guns and computers instead.

I autocrossed a Mustang for many years with a LSD. I got some used steels that were thinner than stock. Cleaned them up and was able to get another clutch and steel, which made the clutch pack last longer.

Another tip - don't make the clutch pack tight. It will just wear the clutches out prematurely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back