A Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a manufacturer states in his owner manual recommendations that below 32* use 10w30, above 32* use 15w40, Is it O.K, to use a 5w40 year round synthetic oil?
Asking about a new Kioti DK40 tractor.
I'm thinking that the 5w40 might be too thin in the winter, where Kioti would want the thicker 10w when it's real cold.

Chuck, good question and I don't know the answer; I have a Dk30 and have been using 15-40 year round but then the climate here in NC is a bit milder than your NJ. However, I've been thinking that Rotella 5-40 synthetic would be a good oil to use year round so I'm interested in the answers yor get.

They are protecting hot oil temperature along with cold start up think about it.

You may also want to check with the folks over at tractorbynet.com. Several of them have been using 5W-40 for a long time in their tractors.

I will be changing to 5W-40 in my Bobcat CT230 (which is a Kioti in disguise).

Originally Posted By: chuck172
If a manufacturer states in his owner manual recommendations that below 32* use 10w30, above 32* use 15w40, Is it O.K, to use a 5w40 year round synthetic oil?
I'm thinking that the 5w40 might be too thin in the winter, where Kioti would want the thicker 10w when it's real cold.
THICKER oil when it's cold? HUH?

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

I don't understand?

I don't understand?

Kioti never says they want thicker oil when cold never! Just the opposite run the 5w40 and change it yearly.

I read it as they want you to use an oil with high HTHS and very little VII...

both 10w-30 and 15w-40 qualify for that.

I wouldn't run just any 5w-40 or 0w-40 all year round, as they will have relatively lower HTHS and more VII.

Redline might have a suitable oil though, don't think their 5w-40 contains much VII and it has a high HTHS.

Originally Posted By: dave123

I don't understand?

Kioti never says they want thicker oil when cold never! Just the opposite run the 5w40 and change it yearly.

But 15w is thicker than 10w, which is what Kioti is saying
But 10w is thinner than 15w

Last edited:

But 15w is thicker than 10w, which is what Kioti is saying
But 10w is thinner than 15w

It means they pass the respective CCS and MRV requirements for the applicable temperature point to the W rating they are associated with. A 0w-40 is heavier than a 5w-30 at every temperature anybody on this site is likely to encounter for example. It can pump at -40C, the 5w-30 can't. That's the difference in a nutshell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back