Presure on Extra Servies with Free Oil Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter took her 2014 Accord to Honda dealer for free oil changes, they gave her 2 years free oil changes when she bought the car a year ago.

She drove more than 25k miles last year, this is the third free oil change. Every time she went there they recommended some extra services, at the very least was tire rotation for $40. This time they recommend the usual tire rotation plus both engine and cabin air filters, probably because the maintenance code is B2 or something like that.

The cost to replace the 2 filters was $190. The engine air filter is very easy, unlatch 4 latches then remove air box cover to replace old filter with new one. The cabin filter is behind the glovebox, without any tool one can lower the glovebox and remove filter door with finger(s) to replace the filter.

I think the total time, even I work very slowly, should be less than 10 minutes. I bought 2 filters for less than $20, OEM should not be more than $35-40 so they charge $150 labor for 10 minutes work.

I told her to decline any extra service, only ask them to do free oil change. She did, but she said they pressured her very hard to do the filters.

I will do the filters this weekend or next, I think both filters should be fairly clean after only 25k miles, the air in Orange County isn't very dusty and not much constructions around.

Upselling is how they make money, so it shouldn't come as a surprise really. I think politely saying no thanks is the best response
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Every time she went there they recommended some extra services, at the very least was tire rotation for $40.

OUCH - my Ford dealer charges $49 for an oil change and tire rotation. $40 for just the tires is way expensive. But good rotation is key for good tire life. It's how I managed more than 50k out of the OEM tires on the Taurus.

I usually don't get the upsell from the dealer either. About the only thing they upsell on is transmission fluid at 30k. But I think that's a good interval anyway despite what the mfg says.

Just remind her to politely say no. She could even use you "my Dad is planning to do that this weekend."
smile.gif

My father, long departed, use to say "When the kids graduate high school they should be kicked on the (backside) and told that's the last thing you get for free." He had an odd way of putting it, but I understood what he meant.

It's how they pay for all of those free oil changes, and why they offer them in the first place. Classic dealer mentality: Just get them in here.

It's also a very effective way of taking business away from the quick lube joints.

Tire place I go to always tries the same thing. They always pull my dipstick out, show me the black oil in my diesel, and tell me I need an oil change.

There is no such thing as a free oil change. The service department uses the opportunity to up sell all services. Many customers cave in to the pressure and get charged big time thereby more than paying for their supposedly "free" oil change.

Say no to any other services that you can easily diy.

Last edited:
Nothing is free. I was offered a few free oil changes when I bought my Jeep, and free state inspections for life. Yea right! I told them NO THANKS! When I buy a new car my hope is I don't have to see the dealership again until I'm ready to buy another new car. When I need an inspection I take it to a local shop, in and out in short order while I wait. I'd rather pay and not have to tie up my car a whole day, and then say no a hundred times to all the B_S and up sells.

OEM Filters:

• 26.67 Air Filter 4CYL
  • 35.00 Air Filter 6CYL
  • 20.29 Cabin Air Filter (It may take 2)

It wouldn't surprise me if the labor rate in CA is 150.00 HR.

Free and low cost oil changes are simply a way to get people in to sell other maintenance. It has been that way for a very long time.

At a Honda dealer one way to minimize it is to tell them right up front do not do a courtesy check and do not touch anything they aren't asked to do. Otherwise they always do a "courtesy check" and will claim Honda requires it (true or not). But then is on the customer (or her dad) to do the inspections.

I would advise her to study the what the manual has to say about the various service codes and to ask pointed questions if they try to sell anything not on the factory recommended interval. I frankly surprised they aren't trying to sell fuel injection services, coolant flushes and similar hogwash...

I think you will find the cabin filter to be pretty dirty but a lot depends on where she parks and your climate. They are usually pretty filthy at around 12,000 miles, engine air, most manuals say 30,000 miles. As to tire rotations, well how are the tries wearing. Also, most tire shops will rotate tires for $20 or less.

The Toyota dealer I used was really good in the regard--no upsells. I was quite content using them.

That said, if I buy new again (unfortunately not from that dealer, no yota offerings turn my crank) I think I will negotiate away any "free" services. I can do my own, and lets me do it better, like oil undercoating, checking pads, etc.

Why is this even surprising? As has been stated, upselling is the reason for "free" oil changes.

I think the total time, even I work very slowly, should be less than 10 minutes. I bought 2 filters for less than $20, OEM should not be more than $35-40 so they charge $150 labor for 10 minutes work.

You know that any business like that has a minimum labor charge. On top of that, they not only have to make a profit, but they need to make up for the loss leader oil change, so people who choose the additional services pay high prices. In addition you choose to live in California where the cost of everything is ridiculous.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Every time she went there they recommended some extra services, at the very least was tire rotation for $40.

OUCH - my Ford dealer charges $49 for an oil change and tire rotation. $40 for just the tires is way expensive. But good rotation is key for good tire life. It's how I managed more than 50k out of the OEM tires on the Taurus.

I usually don't get the upsell from the dealer either. About the only thing they upsell on is transmission fluid at 30k. But I think that's a good interval anyway despite what the mfg says.

Just remind her to politely say no. She could even use you "my Dad is planning to do that this weekend."
smile.gif

I hope you have better luck than I did with the "service package" from Ford. One dealer didn't change the filter, three dealers did not rotate the tires properly, two just measured the tread depth and said they didn't need rotation and the third just went front to back. Had missing screws from the drain access panel also.
Now I get my money's worth and DIY

Smoky

I don't see anything wrong with up selling in this situation. According to their records, the tires needed rotated and the filters were due for a replacement. Their prices are ridiculous though.. Remind her how lucky she is to have you as a dad. I know a lot of gullible people that would have just said.. "yeah do whatever you need. Ill write the check."

Originally Posted By: Smoky14

I hope you have better luck than I did with the "service package" from Ford. One dealer didn't change the filter, three dealers did not rotate the tires properly, two just measured the tread depth and said they didn't need rotation and the third just went front to back. Had missing screws from the drain access panel also.
Now I get my money's worth and DIY

That does stink. No package here - often times just more convenient to drop it off, have them take me to work and back and pick it up when done. So they do it sometimes, I do it sometimes, etc. When I've been under there all looks good so I'm hoping they actually sort of care.

I was actually a little miffed at them for NOT recommending a cabin air filter change on the Taurus. When I looked at it at around 58k it looked absolutely NASTY. And they never said anything about changing it and in all honesty I forgot all about it.

They are good about keeping costs down and earning your business too. Had the wife's Escape in for a state inspection. They found a leaky flex pipe. the SA called and gave me my options: 1) Genuine Ford part for around $500, or 2) they could send it to the local muffler shop for an aftermarket pipe for $150. The SA actually said "at 130k I'd do the aftermarket"! Which is what we did.

Maybe it helps the guys I go to are a small town dealer that is family owned?

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
OEM Filters:

• 26.67 Air Filter 4CYL
  • 35.00 Air Filter 6CYL
  • 20.29 Cabin Air Filter (It may take 2)

It wouldn't surprise me if the labor rate in CA is 150.00 HR.

Free and low cost oil changes are simply a way to get people in to sell other maintenance. It has been that way for a very long time.

At a Honda dealer one way to minimize it is to tell them right up front do not do a courtesy check and do not touch anything they aren't asked to do. Otherwise they always do a "courtesy check" and will claim Honda requires it (true or not). But then is on the customer (or her dad) to do the inspections.

I would advise her to study the what the manual has to say about the various service codes and to ask pointed questions if they try to sell anything not on the factory recommended interval. I frankly surprised they aren't trying to sell fuel injection services, coolant flushes and similar hogwash...
Buck Fifty an hour and for that you get a "tech" with a green card. (maybe)

After buying a new vehicle, the only time I return to the dealer is for a warranty item or recall. That being said, most places, no matter what you have done, will try the upsell. That is just business, and it is up to the consumer to say no.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
That's why they are called stealerships and shouldn't be trusted

True...

I don't think there is anything wrong with a shop indicating that you need other possible services, however, using a very hard sell is unethical.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Why is this even surprising? As has been stated, upselling is the reason for "free" oil changes.

You know that any business like that has a minimum labor charge. On top of that, they not only have to make a profit, but they need to make up for the loss leader oil change, so people who choose the additional services pay high prices. In addition you choose to live in California where the cost of everything is ridiculous.

No, I'm not surprise about upselling. I told her the first day when she bought that car that just do free oil change and decline all other services. She can get free tire rotation at America's Tire, with appointment it can be done in 10-15 minutes. For warranty purpose, I will change filters according to the code displayed on the onboard computer, keep receipts in glove box.

Same pressure I got when I had free oil changes for my S2000 10 years ago. I always said "No thanks, all I need is oil change and I can do the others"

Yes, cost of living in So Cal is high. But with nice weather we don't spend much on utilities. Also, you can make good profit on owning a house and that offsets the high cost of living. It is very normal to double what you paid in 10 years, not many areas you can make 100% profit on your house in 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back