25w60 HM oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody,

1998 Mitsubishi Pajero (Montero in the states) - 2.4L 4g64 motor

I have been using 10w40, but just changed the oil using castrol high milage oil 25w60 to try reduce some oil consumption. The handbook says that 20w50 can be used.

Is this 25w60 to thick? Will it cause any damage or can I leave it in until I change the oil again?

Thanks

Last edited:
Ya thats thick. We don't get that weight in the USA. Typically a 30wt or a 40wt is all thats needed even in Death valley heat.

Being a Mitsubishi I'd guess the Valve seals are causing the oil consumption and thicker oil wont help.

I'd fix the consumption issue and use a more normal weight. Use a 30 or 40 weight, replace the PCV valve too.

It'll be OK down to a little below freezing.

Run it the OC, but that's a grade that I wouldn't touch generally.

If you are always above freezing, and it helps your consumption, and it's how you want to run (cost of repairs versus fuel)...it's OK.

I'sure it won't hurt a thing.
In fact, if you find that it does help you with the consumption problem, you could Continue to use it.

But really the answer to the problem lies elsewhere. Thick oil just masks the issue.

This is predominantly a North American site, in North America people have become accustomed to using THIN oil. unaware that the rest of the world might consider 20w-50 normal. they may think you are doing harm to your engine.

As someone who once used 20w-50 exclusively, in Canada, and racked up 500,000 miles on that engine. I beg to differ.

Great, I was considering changing it out but really didn't want to as it is quite expensive.
I have some 20w50 as well so I will probably use that next time.

Where you live?
No problems (mon?).
It never gets very cold.
Is this oil helping in reducing consumption?
It shouldn't hurt this old Mitsu in your climate.

I wonder what weight of oil they ran in those 76 Vegas they ran in the desert as a "demonstration" of the newly improved "DuraBuilt" 2.3 aluminum engine....

I've ran this weight 25w60 oil in a Golf GLX for several OCI, w/o problems just because it had a few leaks and that was one of the two HM oil in here at that time. the oter one was Castrol GTX green botle...

Hey
My old man used 40w70 (read it and weep) in his Pajero with no ill effects! But that was in a 3.5 v6, we don't have the 4 cylinders here.
I made him drop that treacle out and put MaxLife 20w50 in which actually slowed consumption a lot more than the 40w70.
My advice would be to use something a little thinner but will condition the seals. Saying that being in the Bahamas I really don't think you will have any problems running a 25w60 which is also available here

I'd NEVER put anything thicker than a 40wt oil in a 4 cyl. Try a conventional 10W40 high mileage oil like pennzoil.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I wonder what weight of oil they ran in those 76 Vegas they ran in the desert as a "demonstration" of the newly improved "DuraBuilt" 2.3 aluminum engine....
The one they jammed the iron liners into before they wrote it off as ANOTHER bad GM idea?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'd NEVER put anything thicker than a 40wt oil in a 4 cyl. Try a conventional 10W40 high mileage oil like pennzoil.

I wouldn't generalize all 4 cyl motors but I agree a HM 40 is enough in most cases.
I had a Mitsubishi 2.6 that needed 20w50, anything lighter would get used faster than the fuel!

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

I think 4cyl HOrizontally opposedCessnas call for straight 60w, gotcha

BUT,I'm not talking about motorcycles or airplanes (and neither is the op),I'm talking about car engines (this is the PCMO forum,not the aviation to motorcycle forum). Plus everyone here knows I'm in the thick oil crowd.

I tried 20W50 pyb in my gf's oil burning 200k+ Probe years back when she had it,and it REALLY made that thing sluggish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back