Tractor grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could use some help choosing a grease. I bought a new tractor and this is what it calls for as far as chassis lube. To me it reads like Greek.
" Use a good grade of grease designed for pin and bushings on agricultural equipment. Lithium or aluminum complex type grease with high viscosity base oil, tackiness, and molybdenum disulphide are suitable. Grease approved for NLGI certification GC-LB are recommended.
Grease must be SAE Multipurpose High Temperature grease with Extreme Pressure performance and capable of operating at assembly temperatures above 302 deg F.

Any help would be appreciated, looking for something that is widely available, so I can stick to one brand.

Thanks

I would stick with something with moly since its recommended. Not sure which Mystic, but they should have one. I currently use Valvoline Synpower, but it only has a small amount of moly at 1% IIRC. Schaeffer's also has some good options.

AAP has all Valvoline grease on sale.

they also have motorcraft grease with moly on sale.

Last edited:
Congrats on the Mahindra purchase.

Any 3% moly grease from the local retailer of your choice would be suitable.

If you can get one...I would take alucomplex over lithium...EP grease...

tackier.....less washout...

I will not bother with molly....if you will be (re)greasing your tractor often

Thanks for the replies, they help point me in the right direction. Ramblejam, you must have a Mahindra too, as the description is straight out of the operators manual. So far, I love mine, it's built like a tank.

Anything that is on sale. Important thing is that the fittings are greased periodically.

Pick an easy to buy grease meeting the specs and stick with it. You don't want to switch a bunch , unless you know they are compatible. Pick a brand and only use that brand.

I have been sold on Schaeffer's for quite a while. Just did a road trip on business and stopped into the Schaeffer HQ and got a tour of the facilities by the head man himself, John Schaeffer Shields. A fantastic guy, and though he is getting up there in years, has a mind sharp as a tack. I am even more convinced about staying with Schaeffer greases, along with many of their other products. I got close up look at grease blending and detailed look at what they are putting in it and how they are doing it. A lot of high quality people working there at Schaeffer that have a work ethic that is refreshing to see and take a active interest in how they are doing everything. Each person who fills a tube or a drum puts their name on the container.

There is no doubt that Schaeffer's claim to fame centers around their greases. They purchased Mobil's facilities next to them and expanded into it and invested 5 million in renovation and automation to meet demand for their greases. While us small folks might not be all that familiar with their stuff, the commercial folks sure are. And though they are not allowed by contract to say the actual name, they make a number of greases especially for that company that has something like a shell for a logo to meet demand for specialized greases to meet customer needs. That company spent over 2 million in R&D on some specific open gear greases and gave up and came to Schaeffer for the product. Schaeffer now sends out greases specific for that other oil company by the rail container load. I watched them make the stuff.

I had a chance to talk with Mike, who is getting quite old now, but was the primary developer of their grease line up and was behind the grease development that Shell Oil (oops, not supposed to say that) couldn't develop to meet customer needs for open gear greases. He has over 75 years working for Schaeffer. He started when he was 16 years old with only a 3 yr break in the Army during WW II. Schaeffer has even set up a small section in the plant for their reps to do individual testing and development of products. Met 3 reps in there at the time doing some testing on some stuff they had thrown together. How many oil companies encourage sales reps to come into the plant and do their own little testing and development of products to meet customer needs?

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
I am even more convinced about staying with Schaeffer greases, along with many of their other products. I got close up look at grease blending and detailed look at what they are putting in it and how they are doing it. A lot of high quality people working there at Schaeffer that have a work ethic that is refreshing to see and take a active interest in how they are doing everything. Each person who fills a tube or a drum puts their name on the container.

There is no doubt that Schaeffer's claim to fame centers around their greases. They purchased Mobil's facilities next to them and expanded into it and invested 5 million in renovation and automation to meet demand for their greases.

Do you know if Shaeffer has a grease to use in place of the 'Kluber Isoflex LDS18 Special A' ?
(link to this grease: http://www.precisionspindle.com/datasheets/Kluber_Isoflex_LDS_18_Special_A.htm)
A grease from your contacts at Shaeffer could be great... A friend of mine needs it and wants to buy made in USA !

Originally Posted By: Trav
Schaeffer’s #238 with 5% moly, no rust or visible wear on the Kubota pins or joints.
I use it in all ball joints, tie rods, idler arms and other suspension joints in cars, trucks, tractors, etc. Not for wheel bearings. Best stuff on the market bar none for this type of job IMO.

http://www.schaefferoil.com/238-supreme-grease.html

Trav is spot on. So was Kestas's post earlier, you DO need moly if you want to keep wear down.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back