Ever have someone offer to buy your car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a guy that wants to buy my truck. I really don't want to sell it. I really like it,it's been very dependable and I don't think I can replace it with another as nice as it in my price range.

It's 28 yrs old and I try my best to keep up on it. The interior looks brand new. The paint is beginning to flake like all 80's American cars did. It's a diesel,4 speed,4x4,extra cab with all the bells and whistles that were available in 1987.

Everything works. Cold air,hot heat, windows go up and down,tilt etc.

Now he has come up with a similar truck and wants to trade. His is lifted but it has a 460. I really don't want a gas guzzling Big Block. My IDI does everything I need it to do and gets 16 mpg on a good day. 2x what a 460 will get.

The guy keeps checking in with me and I keep telling him nicely that it's not for sale. I have his # and if I decided to sell I'll call him.

Now he's moving out of state in a few weeks and has stepped up his visits.

The truck is valued around $3000 I'd guess. I'd need a lot more to replace it with a comparable truck.

Thoughts??

Ah, say no I'm not interested maybe? That is exactly what I told someone who walked into my driveway asking if my 65 F100 was for sale two weeks ago. I said never. Doesn't require that much thought.

Yet, then again, your rolling it over in your mind so maybe your ying wants to sell it and your yang doesn't know it yet

Last edited:
I have received quite a few offers for my 97 Toyota 4Runner, SR5 but kindly refuse the offers. Where would I find another in the same shape? I usually keep my vehicles until they give up the ghost.

Well he works behind us.We are all friends and I don't think I need to go to that extreme. Maybe leave it @ home till he moves LOL. Unless he comes up with about $15K maybe
grin.gif

Someone pulled up outside my house while I was out there and asked if I would sell the Beetle, I told him it wasn't for sale. He insisted and said "my wife wants that car, I have cash in hand". Sorry, not happening.

My grandfather has had at least 3 offers for his '96 Jeep Cherokee, it looks practically new. Sorry, not for sale.

I say don't sell it. It seems like you don't want to get rid of it. Also, when you decide you do want to sell it, you'll still be able to find a buyer, so there's not reason to rush it now.

I had a guy offer to buy my s10. It wasn't pretty or lowered or anything but the guy was pretty persistent. Told him to pound sand.

I'd tell this guy the same. Sounds like a good rig you've got. Throw him a totally unreasonable over the top high ball and see what he says.
Cars have a market value but when it's something you own, have cared for and know the history on, it's value to you is a lot higher than it's market value.

If its worth 3,000 tell him 6,000 is what you have to have. If he does it youll have enough to replace it and then some and if he says no thanks then the problem is solved.

Tell him $11300 and it's worth it b/c that's "what you have into it."

That number will sound like you thought it over.

Middle class people will have extra money they fritter away on stuff. It's up to us to figure out what that is and be around the next corner waiting to take it.

This guy's been dreaming of your truck, he's irrational. You can fly cross country and drive home in a replacement for well under a grand, and a week off from work.

Or rip the 460 out and put a school bus/ bread truck etc donor engine in.

Exactly. Highball the price. If he really wants it, then he will understand why it costs so much--because you then have to replicate it.

You have what you want and don't plan on selling it.
End of story.
Tell the guy that your plan is to keep the truck, which you spent a lot of time and effort looking for.
Tell him to look and find one to buy, since you intend to keep yours.

Used to have a K-5 Blazer some years ago that I fixed up for camping/hunting. Used to have people asking if it was for sale more than any vehicle I ever owned. Have woke up and found letters on the windshield/wipe asking to call ###-####, people stop like in a parking lot or gas station etc. asking about it. Sure it was nice, well done as it was my thing back then. Lots of extra bells & whistles plus everything main (engine, tranny, differentials, suspension etc.)
Then one day there was like 5 guys looking hard at it, one laying on the ground looking underneath at suspension work etc., I went out and told them "get away from my rig". They wanted to know how much and I said not for sale. Then I asked why do you guys want this rig and one of them said this would be great for running drugs! What! again.... not for sale.
For a long time I had told myself it was going to become stolen but that never happened. Been a few attempts I think, but either alarm system, kill switch or what ever, it was always there. Had CB/Ham radios taken, one of the winches, both batteries one time etc., but it was always there until the day I sold it. And when I sold it (sold after I taped a 4-sale sign on it, before I could get to the other side for the other 4-sale sign, that fast, a guy saw me putting the signs up, did a u-turn and within minutes said its sold, without a road test. It killed my wallet plus horrible mpg, plus was giving up hunting, gold prospecting, things like going through super swamper bogger tires like crazy etc., it was great but it was time for me to change. Really do miss it at times.

My Yamaha Virago bike attracted notes. It was pretty shabby, I never polished the chrome, there was a huge crack in the seat vinyl. This crack attracted the notes!

IDK what it was about an early 80s fake harley. Maybe it looked attainable, like aircooled VWs used to be, before they turned into yuppies-thinking-they're-still-cool things.

I hear ya, my buddy had a wrangler and people would ask him all the time to sell it.
We worked at a Shop with a gas station across the lot. A group of thugs that couldnt have been more than 5'5" started demanding that he sell it to them. It got so loud the cops got called. they only shut up when the other mechanics and I grabbed our hammers and politely asked if there was a problem....

Sigh... I guess its a jeep thing. people ask me all the time in my ratty junkyard wrangler as well

As to your truck, keep it. Where I live there are no clean older IHI trucks. Thereeare no clean newer IHI trucks for that matter
s

My boss at my last job "offered" to buy my Jeep. He didnt make an offer and I just politely said no thanks. She's not for sale.

Last edited:
I sold an old Electra Glide at a red traffic light once. The guy yelled out hey i'll give you so much for it, i pulled over and did the deal right there.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I have a guy that wants to buy my truck. I really don't want to sell it. I really like it,it's been very dependable and I don't think I can replace it with another as nice as it in my price range.

It's 28 yrs old and I try my best to keep up on it. The interior looks brand new. The paint is beginning to flake like all 80's American cars did. It's a diesel,4 speed,4x4,extra cab with all the bells and whistles that were available in 1987.

Everything works. Cold air,hot heat, windows go up and down,tilt etc.

Now he has come up with a similar truck and wants to trade. His is lifted but it has a 460. I really don't want a gas guzzling Big Block. My IDI does everything I need it to do and gets 16 mpg on a good day. 2x what a 460 will get.

The guy keeps checking in with me and I keep telling him nicely that it's not for sale. I have his # and if I decided to sell I'll call him.

Now he's moving out of state in a few weeks and has stepped up his visits.

The truck is valued around $3000 I'd guess. I'd need a lot more to replace it with a comparable truck.

Thoughts??

Tell him the answer is no, unless he wants to pay stupid money for it.
I have had this happen a couple of times.
Once with a 1968 Mercury Convertible that a guy wanted to trade me straight up for a 1982 Nissan Stanza with 77K. Did it because my family hounded me into it. Still miss that car, even if the body was in horrible shape.
The other time was a 1994 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible. I put a sign in it and 2 hours later had a guy at the door who wanted it and was quizzing me about the whereabouts of it for the three previous weeks. He had been eyeballing it for some time, and wanted it badly. I priced it at what I wanted for it + $200., gave him a $200. break on the price and he left with his car happy as a clam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back