Mixed thoughts on pro select

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently used a $10 coupon at Napa to get 4 pro select filters for beater car (although is my daily driver also). After the coupon they were free! I went in for the Napa silver but the store didn't carry them. I do 5,000 oci using Mobil super. It is on a '96 ford 3.0 pushrod not dohc. I get the gold for my nicer cars, just didn't really know that the gold would warrant for this application. Been reading mixed emotions about the pro select... Mainly when it is used with synthetic oil. Should I worry about these filters in this application or is the 5,000 oci with Mobil supper ok and just be happy for free filters.

Thanks in advance

If its got a polymer combo valve - run away fast!
Used 'em had big problems.
Back to real wix with base end bypass (or Filtech or Toyo-Roki). Don't skimp the price difference of a gallon of gas for one of the most important parts of your lube maintenance.

I also just used that $10 off a 10 purchase at Napa the other day. I bought a Napa Gold and bug sponge. The Napa Gold was 7 bucks though.

Originally Posted By: Whipped500
I recently used a $10 coupon at Napa to get 4 pro select filters for beater car (although is my daily driver also). After the coupon they were free! I went in for the Napa silver but the store didn't carry them. I do 5,000 oci using Mobil super. It is on a '96 ford 3.0 pushrod not dohc. I get the gold for my nicer cars, just didn't really know that the gold would warrant for this application. Been reading mixed emotions about the pro select... Mainly when it is used with synthetic oil. Should I worry about these filters in this application or is the 5,000 oci with Mobil supper ok and just be happy for free filters.

Thanks in advance

So you use synthetic oil on beater car, but won't use a silicone ADBV filter.

Why one and not the other?

For a beater, they are probably "fine". Not a fan of the combo so if you start noticing issues (what was your issue ARCO? Curious. Was it was not entering into bypass? Restricting?). Then again, I have not heard of any of our fleet vehicles or sister fleet having issues... and a few are running the Napa jobbers.

I have run and cut a bunch of their retail cousin, the Napa Silver (same except for the paint and box). Great filters and no problems whatsoever, combo valve or not. And that is on my very filter picky Jeep.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

Thanks in advance

So you use synthetic oil on beater car, but won't use a silicone ADBV filter.

Why one and not the other?

Not using synthetic.

I have used both the silvers and pro selects on my old beater for 5-6k runs and have had no problems with either. Also, for my Chrysler product, I counted 11 more pleats with the silver versus the pro select, so the silver is a step up.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Would your car take the Napa 31516? That doesnt have the combo set up if you're skeptical.

That is what I was using but the store stopped carrying the silver so I had to get the pro select... That number is 21516. Would the pro select version also not have the combo?

Would your car take the Napa 31516? That doesnt have the combo set up if you're skeptical.

That is what I was using but the store stopped carrying the silver so I had to get the pro select... That number is 21516. Would the pro select version also not have the combo?

Not sure but a quick look will tell you. Your Napa should also be able to pull Silvers from the warebouse in a day or two. I am positive the Silver 31516 uses a thread end bypass, running one now in fact about the third one I have used.

I would think it'd be the same, but who knows. Keep us posted.

FWIW, my Napa store told me the same thing about the Silvers.. Turns out, they just have to be ordered and apparently the parts guy didn't want to do that.

If you have an Oreilly's near you, their Microgard is the same thing as the silver assuming you don't get some old stock. (They are out there.. trust me.) You'll be able to tell the WIX made MG apart from the older filter too.

Last edited:
You'll be able to tell the WIX made MG apart from the older filter too.

What's the difference? What are we looking for, to tell them apart?

How do I tell or look up to see if it has the combo valve... That seems to be the biggest concern with everyone. I also thought that some of the materials used were not good if using synthetic but I am not using them, mostly Mobil super.

You can use any filter with any oil. You should be able to look into the filter and see what bypass it has.

What number do you need?

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
You'll be able to tell the WIX made MG apart from the older filter too.

What's the difference? What are we looking for, to tell them apart?

The older filter is Champion made and has a base plate that resembles an AC Delco. The box will look different than the rest too. The WIX made filter will look WIX made. Just grab a WIX filter and compare the 2. You'll be good.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
You can use any filter with any oil. You should be able to look into the filter and see what bypass it has.

What number do you need?

I have 21516 that were free.... Basically wondering if even though they were free if I should use them.... Just a beater car but still a daily driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back