Braking issues 2001 Grand Am GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
For about the past 8 months my brake light has been coming on. I have added 2 bottles of brake fluid in that time. When I come to a stop now the brake pedal is lower to the ground(but I still have enough clearance to fit the tip of my shoe under it). The brakes almost feel as if I am driving a car from the 80's, almost like drum brakes.

I had the brake lines replaced 3 years ago due to rust and also had the rear brakes/rotors replaced at that time as well.

The first bottle of brake fluid I added was prestone dot 3 synthetic brake fluid from Autozone and the second bottle I added was centeck(walmart brand I suppose) dot 3 brake fluid from Walmart.

I have looked closely for any leaks but cannot find anything leaking? The master cyclinder and booster all appear to be dry. Is it possible there is an internal leak in the master cyclinder and leaking into the booster? Where is the brake fluid going? Could the walmart brand of brake fluid cause the pedal to travel lower to the ground?

I owned a Grand Am, worst brakes I've ever experienced in all the cars I've driven.

I think it is CRAZY that you've had to add 2 bottles of brake fluid without any failures occurring. Well, clearly it is leaking somewhere but how there could be a leak that substantial and still have any sort of pedal is beyond me. I really don't know what to tell you, that is really weird. If it were me, this car would be parked until this issue was resolved.

Last edited:
Im actually on my third bottle of brake fluid now I just added a bit to top it off a few days ago to the max. line on the master cylinder. I bought the prestone synthetic brake fluid this time.

There's a leak somewhere that you can't see. Give it a good look over and if you can't find a leak, take it to someone who can. You don't want the brakes to blow when you need them the most.

Bang off your drums and check your wheel cylinders. Normally you'd see "wet" back there but it could be getting flung out.

Also check the vacuum hose off to your intake, to see if it's the MC.

You could also sit there idling and firmly pump the pedal 30 times. Whatever it is, will show itself.

I wouldn't drive that thing til you get it sorted. Just because the fluid is from walmart doesn't mean it will compress. Fluid doesn't compress, check thoroughly for leaks along the entire system.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Bang off your drums and check your wheel cylinders. Normally you'd see "wet" back there but it could be getting flung out.

Also check the vacuum hose off to your intake, to see if it's the MC.

You could also sit there idling and firmly pump the pedal 30 times. Whatever it is, will show itself.

This ^^^

Check both of your rear drum brakes! Often the brake cylinder, pops a seal and leaks there! It may have soaked your rear brakes in the process. Pedal closer to the floor...you're probably sucking in AIR!

If both rear drum brakes are dry, another common issue with the Grand Am's is, the master cylinder. Where it's leaking, IDK but, another issues is the pedal to the floor though, I can't say with certainty that it's definitely the MC.

The GT should have rear disc brakes. Pull all 4 wheels off and check the calipers for wetness at the dust seal and the banjo bolt.
Since you had all the lines done check all the connections, you might have one that wasn't flared properly or needs a little tightening, check the ABS unit for any wetness.
If its all dry its time to pull the MC.

Thats a lot of fluid to be loosing, as others have posted i wouldn't drive that car until its repaired. The brand of fluid means nothing, its still DOT3 and okay to use.

Ah yes! I missed that this Grand Am is the GT version/trim level, with the standard 4 wheel disks! Which is different than the other Grand Am versions with rear drum brakes...which BTW, is different than the same generation of the Olds Alero, that came with 4 wheel disk on all versions/trim levels(for those interested/curious in these vehicles history!).

But, the same goes for the 4 calipers as Trav has mentioned. Check them out for leakage!

Last edited:
Thank you for all the replies. My car does have disc brakes all around. Would a quick visual check do without pulling the wheels off? or is there a certain smell I should be aware of? If the calipers were leaking would the fluid just burn off?

Well, you really need to inspect the situation! This is your brakes we're talking about here! Pull each tire and inspect for brake fluid dampness. Inspect the brake lines & caliper pistons, which means, you may have to lift up each caliper.

Do whatever you have to do to find the leak(s). Even if it means taking it to a shop for them to inspect it for leaks. Don't neglect this!

+1 Losing brake fluid is always a bad thing and should never be taken lightly. A thorough inspection and immediate repair is warranted. This could cause an accident.

Originally Posted By: Trav
+1 Losing brake fluid is always a bad thing and should never be taken lightly. A thorough inspection and immediate repair is warranted. This could cause an accident.

An accident that could also incur death upon the driver or others. Brakes are serious business. A vehicle that weighs a couple grand at highway speed has a lot of kinetic energy behind it. Not being able to safely control its deceleration is dangerous.

Well I was testing my brakes today and I decided to make a few stops while backing up and lo and behold my brake pedal went back to normal but after a few minutes of regular driving my brake pedal is going low again but not as bad as before.

What would cause the pedal to go normal just by backing up? Maybe if I try this a few more times my brakes might go back to normal? I do have disc brakes all around, maybe something is being adjusted when I do this?

Originally Posted By: mike7139
What would cause the pedal to go normal just by backing up? Maybe if I try this a few more times my brakes might go back to normal? I do have disc brakes all around, maybe something is being adjusted when I do this?

The adjustment star in rear drum brakes will move the shoes out when braking while backing, and cause you to have to press the pedal less to get good engagement.

Not sure why this becomes undone.

Doesn't seem like you are going to take the steps to inspect the car or take it to a shop. Personally I wouldn't drive it until I knew what the issue was. Even if it meant getting under the car at 2am so I can try to fix it before having to work the next day.

If you have a failure you could kill someone or yourself. This is a MAJOR issue.

Why don't you post up your location, Maybe someone on here lives close to you and can help you out. This needs to be addressed ASAP.

To answer your question. Air gets in system, pedal goes soft, your leak must be hit/miss and is somehow self bleeding? once the air spits out the leak the pedal gets firm until it draws air in again.

Originally Posted By: jeffie7
To answer your question. Air gets in system, pedal goes soft, your leak must be hit/miss and is somehow self bleeding? once the air spits out the leak the pedal gets firm until it draws air in again.

Thank You for the reply. I guess it must be hit or miss. After making a few stops in reverse and then drive a couple times, the pedal is nice and firm now. It actually feels as if I got a complete overhaul of the entire braking system. I just don't know how stopping the car a couple of times in reverse made the pedal nice and firm, or how air could be drawn out of the system that way?

I will be curious to see if my car still continues to lose brake fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back