Old Honda Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Afternoon,

I have a 99 Accord with 207K+ miles. There is a bit of rust on the passenger's doors, bottom, which I wired brushed and applied some product that is supposed to react with the rust and serve as paint base as well. The car also has a crunch on the front bumper and the rear one has paint that is peeling.

I've had the car for six months or so. It looks pretty good for its mileage. I got it for a good price and don't have the interest of spending a lot of money on repairs though I did have the timing belt replaced, along with water pump and other incidentals in there. It runs pretty darn good I think, not being a connoseiur. I did change my own oil with conventional and believe will go with high mileage valvoline 5W30 at next change.

I tried to post some pictures of the problem spots but did not know how. Your thougths on how to with the bumpers and rust are encouraged. If you'd like to comment on the oil, I would appreciate it as well.

Thanks, Buyo

Rust on door bottoms is usually rust from the inside out,almost impossible to stop.

Originally Posted By: Buyo
Mine is a four cylinder, manual transmission
Good combo, Honda's auto transmissions of that era weren't known to be that great. It should last you quite a bit longer.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Rust on door bottoms is usually rust from the inside out,almost impossible to stop.

Agreed, but if the doors have been recently reskinned they can rust along the outside bottom edge. That's what I'm dealing with on my 2007 Accord sedan. Body work was done 5 years ago. Rust is quite superficial - a little brown staining and paint lifting beside it in a couple of places. The body shop is not sure how it happened but they're going to make it right. As far as I can see, they look fine inside (meaning both on the cabin surface and the inside the doors). Strange. At least they're going to make it right.

The bottom edge on a 2007 is protected from salt water spray, sand, etc but if the weren't painted before they were put on, maybe they didn't get enough paint.

The other side is perfect and there's no rust that I can find anywhere else.

Just keep driving. The value of your car has probably bottomed out. You might as well drive the miles of it and save your money for your next car.

I drive an older Honda (in my sig, below) and keep it in good shape but I do understand that the slightest accident might just be the end of it. To someone else this car is worth nothing but it's still my daily driver. At 37 mpg day in and day out and no car payments I have money to spend on other things.

Originally Posted By: Buyo
Good Afternoon,

I have a 99 Accord with 207K+ miles. There is a bit of rust on the passenger's doors, bottom, which I wired brushed and applied some product that is supposed to react with the rust and serve as paint base as well. The car also has a crunch on the front bumper and the rear one has paint that is peeling.

I've had the car for six months or so. It looks pretty good for its mileage. I got it for a good price and don't have the interest of spending a lot of money on repairs though I did have the timing belt replaced, along with water pump and other incidentals in there. It runs pretty darn good I think, not being a connoseiur. I did change my own oil with conventional and believe will go with high mileage valvoline 5W30 at next change.

I tried to post some pictures of the problem spots but did not know how. Your thougths on how to with the bumpers and rust are encouraged. If you'd like to comment on the oil, I would appreciate it as well.

Thanks, Buyo

Pictures:
odometer 5/15/15 photo 2015-05-15_13-47-54_667.jpg

rear bumper paint peel photo 2015-05-15_13-47-07_704.jpg

front bumper damage photo 2015-05-15_13-45-29_961.jpg

rear pass door photo 2015-05-15_13-45-07_63.jpg

Trying again to get some pictures on the post.
Buyo

Pictures:
2015-05-15_13-47-54_667.jpg
[/img]

2015-05-15_13-47-07_704.jpg
[/img]

2015-05-15_13-45-29_961.jpg
[/img]

2015-05-15_13-45-07_63.jpg
[/img]
[/quote]

Bumper is easy. You can go on ebay to buy a painted aftermarket bumper or go pull one from a junk yard near by (if you have time) along with any crushed parts under it.

You can do the same and get a junkyard door of the same color too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back