What product for frozen automotive door locks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
This might not be the right time of the year, but: I have an issue with one of my door locks. When it gets freezing outside, I cannot open the door anymore using my key. I bought one of these smelly bottles containing paraffin claiming to solve the frozen lock problem. To mee the product seems to be filled with a solvent alone and nothing really greasy. Does anyone have a sure fire fool proof method of greasing/oiling automotive door locks and what product to use? Thanks in advance,
Lucas

+3. But also a few times I have used a bit of wd40 first to help get water out of a lock then. A couple days later use graphite

I've heard of people using any type of lube you can think of. Have had success, or at least lack of failure, spraying inside the lock with fluid film.

I like wet graphite lube instead of dry. At least 3x a year I pull out the drip bottle of AGS Lock Ease, dribble some on the key and hit up all the lock cylinders on the Golf.

GM recommends their own lock lube or Mobil 1. I keep a 20yr old half used bottle of M1 5W-30 to lube all kinds of stuff. Door locks & hinges, ignition switches, exercise equipment, wheel lug studs. It even makes cheap box fans last many years. For cars, dip the key in oil and then turn the lock a few times..done.

we used to have similar issues, and one day talking to one of the service guys at the ford dealer, they suggested wd-40 before it gets cold out to dry the locks, then graphite a couple days later.

He said it's a fairly common issue each winter, since most cars have remote locks, people don't find out the lock cyl is frozen until the battery (in their car, or the Fob) dies, and then they panic and FLIP OUT!

I remember when i was a kid, my brother had this battery operated dohickey on a key chain. had a small light bulb, and a metal blade you could extend from the case. the idea was to hold the button down to light the light, which in turn heated the blade, which you would then extend and insert into the lock, hopefully melting the ice.

i don't think it worked very well for that but it was good for little brothers to burn their fingers with when messing with it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LucasDK
How do you get the dry graphite powder horizontally into the lock?

The stuff I used was in a plastic Puffer bottle.

But realistically, once the lock is frozen, it's because water has got in. Dry lube or not, if it's cold enough, water freezes.

WD40 seems to work OK for dealing with water.

I tried WD-40 and it attracted dirt into the lock, so much that the key wouldn't turn in one direction and one lock was seized.

I then sprayed brake cleaner into the locks and turned the key in both directions. After a few tries the lock was freed up. Then I sprayed white lithium grease into the lock and re-inserted the key and turned it both directions. It withstood the winter and the locks performed flawlessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back