2005-2011 Bugatti Veyron 16.4. Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw a poser (ie kit car) on the street during Christmas Eve day. I was taken aback until I noticed the tiny brakes and the 4 cycle exhaust note.

The Veyron uses the same basic engine geometry as VW's VR6 and VR8 engines. Remember the 4-Litre VR8 in the Phaeton? Multiply that engine by two and you have the 8-Litre V16 of the Veyron, plus years of development to get ~2.1hp/cube (turbocharged) with durability.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
The Veyron uses the same basic engine geometry as VW's VR6 and VR8 engines. Remember the 4-Litre VR8 in the Phaeton? Multiply that engine by two and you have the 8-Litre V16 of the Veyron, plus years of development to get ~2.1hp/cube (turbocharged) with durability.

There is no such thing as a VR8 engine in VAG's portfolio, only VR6 & VR5

the V8 in the Phaeton was a 4.2L V8 with a 90° V-angle. The W8 was a 6.0L displacement.

The W-engine is based on the VR-architecture, so that's correct, by taking 2 VR's (15° V-angle for each VR) separated by a V-angle (72°) and running a single crankshaft.

the 4.0L W8 was found on the B5.5 Passat W8.

Originally Posted By: 45ACP
Originally Posted By: nleksan
I like the Redline 5w40 for my Super Sport. Keeps the turbos lubed and even at 268mph on my local highways it purrs like a.kitten. A very large, angry kitten trying to claw your eyes out, but a kitten nonetheless. It sure is a pain having to fly in the.French mechanics every 3k miles and buy new tires every 5k though. The croissant bill alone is frightening!
However, once you put in that special key and launch it at 4krpm and feel the tires grip immediately as it catapaults you into hyperdrive, you know that its worth it.

Oh, ahem, sorry... Dreaming out loud again. Darn!
wink.gif

Dont worry. Thats almost exactly what AEHaas would say, but replace 5W-40 with 0W-30
wink.gif

Hey how is that BMW going? I had one many moons ago. Yours is a MONSTER!

Ever had an E30 with an S52US swap? (The 3.2L 333HP one out of an M. Pretty sure they called it S52US) :drool:

Quote:
S52B32

This engine was sold only in the USA and Canada and is closely based on the iron-block USA-spec M52 engine. It differs in having an 86.4mm bore and an 89.6mm stroke for a displacement of approximately 3.2 litres. It shares very few components with the European S50. The S52 is essentially a large displacement M52 with minor upgrades to increase performance. It uses a regular M52 head with the same stepped VANOS system (on the intake cam only) but uses more aggressive cams. The intake manifold and throttle body is from the M52B28. The exhaust manifolds are the same between M52 and S52 but the S52 uses special muffler designed by Boyesen that is less restrictive. Even the connecting rods are exactly the same 135 mm units used in the M52B28. The lubrication system on the S52 is optimized for greater flow. Engine management is handled by the same Siemens system as the M52 but is tuned to the larger displacement and slightly more performance biased.

Physically, there are very few external characteristics that distinguish the S52 from its M52 brother. The "M-Power" valve cover is the easiest to spot although it must be noted that S52 and M52 valve covers are easily interchangeable. A more subtle difference is the oil filter housing. While the M52 uses a threaded black plastic cover on its filter, the S52 uses an aluminum cover held in place by a bolt. This is the same housing as was used on the 1991-1995 M50 series engines. As such, the S52 uses M50-style filter cartridges instead of the M52 style. Power from the S52B32US is officially quoted at 240 HP but many[who?] feel that this figure is understated. Maximum permissible engine speed varies from 6500 rpm to 6800 rpm to allow a margin of safety for the hydraulic lifters and the rest of the valve-train, although the engine can safely rev to 7000 rpm.

Applications:

1996-1999 US-spec E36 M3
1996-2000 US-spec E36/7/8 M Roadster/M Coupe

Hey, thanks for asking! She's actually in storage now that the temperatures have dropped, as I've found that 40 degree weather + >400rwhp = no traction
wink.gif
I have tried winter tires, which I kept mounted on my OEM wheels (M68 is the style), and while they worked fine for when my car was still naturally-aspirated (~245rwhp), they have far too small of a footprint for a near doubling in power.
So, I always:
- drain the oil, flush the engine oil, and leave it empty
- put the OEM wheels on (which have old, balded tires) so that my 18s and 19s and their expensive tires don't get flat spots
- keep the car on a lift to unload the suspension
- do a FULL detail inside and out (I call it a "Q-Tip-Level Detail", lol) including two coats of Sealant and three of high-quality wax (plus UV protecting spray/wipes for any plastic/rubber/etc) and even the underside is 100% clean now
smile.gif

- lube everything from suspension points to door hinges
- drain and flush the transmission fluid, differential fluid, Power Steering fluid, coolant, and bleed the brakes (though I do refill them)
- replace all filters (intake/cabin air, oil, etc)
- Use Leatherique to keep interior looking new
- Clean the engine bay completely
- and more... I can be a bit "anal-ish" about my baby
wink.gif

But, that's why I have the 325i and 740i (as well as a '00 Camry (I4 5SFE engine) and a '98 Contour (V6 Duratec 24V), both auto trans and FWD).

Regarding the E30 with S52 swap... No, I have never owned one. I will, one day, as it's second on the list of "next car" (right after '05-'06 Alpine White M3 with Imola Red Leather and Comp Pkg).

However, I HAVE driven FOUR of them:
1) 1989 E30 M3 with a US S52B32 engine swap with every bolt on including the M50 manifold and 3.5" HFM, etc, and full suspension/brake/etc upgrades, making about 255rwhp N/A
2) 1990 E30 M3 with a US S52B32 engine swap with a fully-built engine (forged Carillo rods, Mahle Pistons, titanium valves/springs/seats/etc., forged crank, and more), along with everything you can think of suspension/brake/etc-wise; making over 320rwhp naturally-aspirated
3) 1990 E30 M3 with a EURO S52B32 "EVO" Engine Swap (+6spd Euro Transmission and LSD), over $70k in modifications and upgrades to everything including a complete engine rebuild/upgrade including 6mm-wider ITB's, a full-carbon-fiber "Race Intake + Manifold", and Moton suspension, and it is making around 380rwhp naturally-aspirated. This was done to a car with only 38k miles on it, and the original S14 has been 100% rebuilt and refreshed, sitting on a stand in the (very rich) owner's garage, surround by plexiglass. This was my favorite; 400lbs lighter, and over 400bhp... crazy, ridiculous-fast...
4) 1989 E30 M3 with a US S52B30 Engine Swap with a Stage2 Supercharger and 6spd Euro transmission making over 430rwhp and all the necessary upgrades to hold up to it

The one with the Euro 3.2L S52 and Euro 6spd Manual swap was my favorite, although the supercharged car was RIDICULOUSLY FAST, so much so that traction was more of an "if" than a "when", even with 17x10" rear wheels wrapped in 275-width Pilot Sport Cups.

Once I get my hands on a clean E46 M3 in the colors and specs that I want, and get it (at least part-way) to where I want it (Vorsteiner CF body parts, build it as powerful as I can while keeping it N/A but with the potential for FI in the future, etc), I am going to get myself a "project" E30 M3 and just slowly make it beautiful again while waiting for a reasonably-priced Euro S52B32 and 6spd transmission to come up for sale. Then, I am going to make a monster out of it! Giant individual throttle bodies, strip a bunch of weight, full EVO-II body, BBS 17" wheels (9" wide fronts and 10"-10.5" wide rears), and more!
Of course, I will need to increase my income first
wink.gif

Although, I have driven one that puts the M3-swaps to shame... A Euro E34 M5's S38B38 (3.8L I6) swapped into an E30 M3 chassis... Fully-built N/A motor, car was good for low-10sec 1/4mile times, and despite the extra weight up front, handled like, well, a really extensively worked on BMW! lol

So many dreams, so little time (money)...
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back