Opinions, 2015 Jeep Patriot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Originally Posted By: Shrubitup
It's a data point and conducted by a university vice some ad-driven internet hack site. Yes, their data set is lacking in late model cars unfortunately.

University researchers are driven by access to grant money and requirements to get published. Even peer reviewed scientific research (which I don't believe your source is)can have agendas and slip through the cracks. My point: the term University does not automatically = research reliability.

Nobody collects/publishes data for free. Difficult to discover bias-free data comparisons. It's like the survey of consumer reports subscribers on what is the most reliable whatever. Their results only show what their subscribers purchase and like. However, it's still a data point.

That eBay link to the $14K brand new Liberty is a good deal IMO.

Forester.

and since there are people actually calling Fiat group reliable in here now, I'll pull this one out.

consumer-reports-auto-survey.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: horse123
Forester.

and since there are people actually calling Fiat group reliable in here now, I'll pull this one out.

consumer-reports-auto-survey.png

If you look at the chart though, the Patriot is more reliable than the average MB, Ford, or Chevy.

So someone tell me (I really don't know), is this the data that puts Ford very low mostly because of problems with their infotainment system? At the same time, the Subie Forester is way on top, yet has two pending class action lawsuits due to recurring engine oil consumption problems that requires an engine rebuild or new short block??

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

If you look at the chart though, the Patriot is more reliable than the average MB, Ford, or Chevy.

I didn't get that from the chart. According to my interpretation of the chart Jeep is second worst for reliability but they named Patriot the best from the Jeep line. The light blue bar extending to the right shows overall reliability less than MB Ford or Chevy.

Last edited:
I assume that the limits of the blue bars show the highest and lowest reliability model for that brand. So the Patriots reliability value is what's setting the upper limit of the Jeep brand.
No buyer should really care what the brands overall reliability is anyways, as they are buying a specific model.
Its an interesting chart to compare brand reliability, but it would be better to see the number for each model, which they have to make the chart.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I assume that the limits of the blue bars show the highest and lowest reliability model for that brand. So the Patriots reliability value is what's setting the upper limit of the Jeep brand.

I think your assumption is correct and mine was wrong.
thumbsup2.gif

It kind of blows my mind. Over the past few days I've emailed 5 different dealerships. Toyota, Mitsubishi and 3 Jeep dealers. The only one so far that would quote me a price by email was Toyota. One Jeep dealer hasn't responded at all, and the others just fire you back a canned email with your name inserted and a number to call to speak with sales. Absolutely ridiculous if you ask me. Here's the numbers the local 'Yota dealer quoted me:

"1- 2015 Camry LE - MSRP- $24020 - your cost - $22479 plus you have a
choice of an additional $500 rebate- 0% financing [up to 60 months or a special lease term.

2- 2015 Rav 4 AWD - MSRP- $26430 - your cost- $25206 plus you have a choice of an additional $750 rebate- 0% financing [up to 60 months] or a special lease term.

3- 2015 Rav 4 FWD - MSRP-$25030- your cost- $23891 [incentives are the same as the AWD ]"

Last edited:
I suppose with the economy supposedly up comes higher car sales volume. This means that many dealers and sales people are less hungry for sales.

My last several purchases were made via email contacts somewhat, but always completed on the telephone. The only time I set foot on the sales floor was to sign the papers.

On my purchase 2 years ago, I initially asked for quotes to get a feel, using True Car to get started. Then I determined a reasonable low ball offer for exactly the vehicle I wanted. Started calling around, and one dealer accepted the offer I TOLD (not asked)them I would accept. Obviously, this doesn't work well on very popular vehicles during good sales periods.

Have fun!

I finally got a Jeep price.

2015 Patriot Sport 4x4, 2.4L, automatic with power package. MSRP $24240. Dealer will sell for $23740 - 3000 rebate = 20740 + TTL. I'm pretty sure they have 0%/60mo as well. That's a good deal IMO.

Originally Posted By: JTK
I finally got a Jeep price.

2015 Patriot Sport 4x4, 2.4L, automatic with power package. MSRP $24240. Dealer will sell for $23740 - 3000 rebate = 20740 + TTL. I'm pretty sure they have 0%/60mo as well. That's a good deal IMO.

I test drove the Patriot today. It was a used 2014, 8K miles, 5 speed. Drove nice. I pegged it on the hwy onramp to merge and had no problems but I really had to peg it. Went up a steep hill in 3rd gear and didn't hafta downshift. Handles bumps really nicely. Shifted great! Blind spots weren't that bad. 5' tall wife complained of rear seat discomfort. I'm 6'2" and found front seat to be spacious enough. Fairly quiet compared to say a Honda Civic. Also drove the 2015 Fit afterwards. I'm too big to be comfortable in the Fit and the road noise is loud even compared to our 2010 Civic LX.

Anyways, dealer local to me is selling several new 2015 manual transmission configured Patriots for $12,500 and the automatic for $3,000 more. Your deal is a lil high. Ima ask the dealer for a OTD price and then think more.
21.gif

Last edited:
Patriots with the ~$16k MSRP are non existent in my area. A search of 500+ mi does show a few. Pretty sure Ma doesn't want a 5spd with no a/c and roll up windows anyway.

Spent most of today at the Toyota dealership. After driving a new Camry, mom didn't even want to sit in a Jeep Patriot. We did go to look at them while test-driving a new Camry LE. During the trade haggle, we almost bailed a few times to look at 2015 Honda Accord LXs.

In the end, she got her new silver 2015 Camry LE for $22400. MSRP is $24020. Trade-in allowance for the 2008 Pontiac Vibe = $5800. Someone is going to get a nice used Vibe.

New Camry @ 0%/60mo for $305/mo.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
She did good! Much better than a Patriot!

I hope so. I kept my feelings about the car to myself during the process, but to me, compared to what I'm used to, the Camry was unbelievably nice. Big, comfy, quiet, super nice build quality and it drove awesomely. Good power and it shifted great through the 6 gears. Car buying with your 74yr/old Mom, who's never been through the process before? I need several drinks.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
She did good! Much better than a Patriot!

I hope so. I kept my feelings about the car to myself during the process, but to me, compared to what I'm used to, the Camry was unbelievably nice. Big, comfy, quiet, super nice build quality and it drove awesomely. Good power and it shifted great through the 6 gears. Car buying with your 74yr/old Mom, who's never been through the process before? I need several drinks.

You are a good son. Have a drink (or 6) - you deserve it. Hope your mom enjoys her new Camry.

I kept my feelings about the car to myself during the process, but to me, compared to what I'm used to, the Camry was unbelievably nice. Big, comfy, quiet, super nice build quality and it drove awesomely. Good power and it shifted great through the 6 gears.

Having owned a recent Camry, I can tell you that I think they're far nicer than they generally get credit for (at least from "gearheads"). Some models have been underdamped some (my 2011 is an example), and the latest generation has a very nice interior. My 2011, though, had that excellent 2.5L 4-cylinder engine with the 6AT and that powertrain package was really nice. That engine is a real sweetheart, and it's V-6 smooth at idle.

I'm REALLY liking the current generation Camry. I think the styling is very classy and the interior makes it feel like more money than it really is. Great cars.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
So someone tell me (I really don't know), is this the data that puts Ford very low mostly because of problems with their infotainment system? At the same time, the Subie Forester is way on top, yet has two pending class action lawsuits due to recurring engine oil consumption problems that requires an engine rebuild or new short block??

Yup. Someone who buys a car and lacks the mental capacity to operate the touch screen radio (which they willingly bought) and complains counts the same as a Subaru with a manufacturing defect that causes it to consume oil.

Glad she got a decent car and not a third tier compact SUV. IMHO the top tier family vehicles in base form to mid are the best values out there for a ten year+ ownership period.

Originally Posted By: rjundi

Glad she got a decent car and not a third tier compact SUV. IMHO the top tier family vehicles in base form to mid are the best values out there for a ten year+ ownership period.

Thanks rj. My thoughts are the same. The only little bit of regret I have is not test driving and haggling for an Accord, just for comparison. We has spent hours at the Toyota dealer, the deal was good, so we went with the Camry. During the trade-in process, we were minutes away from bailing for the Honda dealership.

I did much of the communication by phone and email, yet it still took basically all day. The Toyota dealership was literally a ZOO. People were waiting outside for their turn with someone from sales.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back