Battery? Alternator? Other?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday, while slowly moving in traffic, car shut off. I had to restart and everything was fine.

Today, drove 10 miles on my way home from work to run an errand. When I finished and was ready to go home, I started the car and the tachometer needle was jumping all over the place, and felt like the engine was about to die. I gave it some gas, everything smoothed out, and I drove 10 more normal miles home.

What might this indicate?

Thanks in advance!
Ryan

The engine restarted immediately so, I rule out the charging system...for now but, check it out! Sounds like some fuel restriction issues, not the battery or alternator!

we need to know the car, mileage and what maintenace has been done to it. Could be anything from a fuel pump/ filter to an ignition problem, crank position sensor. So we need more info.

Things go haywire when a battery starts to short out/go out. I'd have it load-tested somewhere reputable as a quick and cheap diagnosis.

My first guesses are shorted cell in the battery, bad diode in the alternator, or bad exciter in the alternator.

No battery light on the dash? What about when starting the car?

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Can't be diagnosed on a forum.

I thought the definition of a forum is that we can solve all problems and all opinions are facts?

I would start with bad ground, or dirty battery/cable connections. That, and check voltage while cranking, then at idle and at 2k rpm. Should not drop below 9.5 when cranking, should be above 13 while idling, and 14.3-14.7 (With a fully charged battery) at 2k rpm.

If it isn't a bad ground or connection, I would bet on it being something else entirely......Possibly fuel related.

Look into battery terminals and terminal/wire corrosion.Vibration is making it make/break contact.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
What type of vehicle is it? Chrysler products do some strange things when they have battery issues.

+1

Ive had the same problem on a 80's car (z28) 20 years ago, I had a alternator going out, replaced it and a month later same issue came back up. I then replaced the battery after having the alternator tested good I cleaned the terminal bolts on the cables when installing the new battery. No troubles after that.

Just replace them and if that does not fix it, replace more parts. Is that how it is supposed to be done?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Just replace them and if that does not fix it, replace more parts. Is that how it is supposed to be done?

Only if your are getting serviced at the dealer.

without even knowing the make model and year of car this is pretty much going to be a guessfest.

good question = good answers.

Get one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3721-Battery-Charging-Monitor/dp/B000EVWDU0

INNOVA 3721 Battery and Charging System Monitor
by Innova 846 customer reviews 40 answered questions

4105fQmT1vL._SY450_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back