Pennzoil ultra platinum 0w-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
They have the dark gray bottle with the label saying hyper on it or something like that. I didn't know they had a new formula.

That is the pic I posted above. It is last year's design. For this year, they changed it to PP Euro, as per my note above. The formula may have gotten tweaked slightly, but probably not in any meaningful way.

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
I know pennzoil makes a European 5w-40 platinum version that is approved by vw and other euro companies. What about their ultra platinum (black bottle) 0w-49 made for the srt engines? Is this also approved by vw? If not, why isn't it? Because they already have a euro 5w-40?

Good question 02s4audi and we’re glad we have the opportunity to clarify for you: Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40 is specifically formulated for the needs of the Chrysler SRT engines (where the Chrysler MS-12633 specification must be met). In fact, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40 can also be used in SRT engines originally recommending a Chrysler MS-10725 spec’ed oil. Of course – as you have stated - this SRT motor oil is NOT approved to be used in VW, Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, BMW and/or other European engines.

However, our Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W-40 and 5W-40 Full Synthetic motor oils ARE formulated to meet the VW gasoline engine 502.00 specification.

Bottom line: there are different formulas for different specification requirements....the SRT 0W-40 formulation is NOT the same as the Platinum Euro 0W-40 formulation, even though the viscosity grades are the same. - The Pennzoil Team

Originally Posted By: GenaFishbeck
Bottom line: there are different formulas for different specification requirements....the SRT 0W-40 formulation is NOT the same as the Platinum Euro 0W-40 formulation, even though the viscosity grades are the same. - The Pennzoil Team

And now for the real bottom line: Where can we purchase Platinum Euro 0w-40?

However, our Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W-40 and 5W-40 Full Synthetic motor oils ARE formulated to meet the VW gasoline engine 502.00 specification.

Yes, Gena, I would also love to find out where I can purchase these oils... And I'm from Canada if that makes the question more difficult
wink.gif

I have never seen either of them on any retail store shelf up here, period. Also, in all of my travels to the US, I have not really seen them either.

Must be mystery oils or something!!!

I'd suggest you check the local SOPUS distributor who is also authorized to sell Pennzoil-Quaker State products. NAPA Canada apparently carries the stuff, but you won't like their pricing.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I'd suggest you check the local SOPUS distributor who is also authorized to sell Pennzoil-Quaker State products. NAPA Canada apparently carries the stuff, but you won't like their pricing.

I just sent an e-mail into one of the local distributors here in Toronto. We'll see what they say
wink.gif

Your comment got me thinking though... With the number of German cars in my extended family that I service, why haven't I started buying in pails yet?! Each Benz takes 8.5 qts (there are a handful of them), and the couple of Bimmer's are close at 7.5 qts. So 2 - 20L pails would just be enough for one set of oil changes lol...

Depending on price, it may be better to buy in bulk from a distributor (for any approved oil) rather than chasing Canadian Tire sales or hoarding when I travel down to the US
smile.gif

Just be careful. Some of the distributors don't handle Pennzoil-Quaker State and don't even know who does.
wink.gif
I believe I got the mess straightened out with respect to Saskatchewan by emailing Shell Canada's head office with the inquiry.

Quattro Pete And now for the real bottom line: Where can we purchase Platinum Euro 0w-40? [/quote said:
I'm a Pennzoil fan but I have given up on Euro spec Pennzoil. As a consumer I shouldn't have to search high and low and jump through hoops for a product. Pennzoil is obviously not serious about selling this particular product.

I stopped hunting for SOPUS Euro anything when M1 0W40 is available at WM for $25/5 qt. jug.

How is SOPUS even achieving the economy of scale if they are not selling the stuff at big box retailers like Walmart? I know I can get PP 0W40 euro at BMW dealerships, but at $8~9/qt. no thanks.

Exact same oil, BMW switched to SOPUS oil products months ago.
BMW now also has a 5W30 euro offering --> Pennzoil Platium Euro 5W30

Originally Posted By: drtyler
I wonder if Pennzoil Euro 0W40 is exactly the same as the new BMW M TwinPower Turbo 0W40? Bottle says it meets LL-01 and ACEA A3/B4. Looks like BMW recommends it for some of the M-powered cars.

http://www.ecstuning.com/ES2817517/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Leonardo629
Exact same oil, BMW switched to SOPUS oil products months ago.
BMW now also has a 5W30 euro offering --> Pennzoil Platium Euro 5W30

I wonder if Pennzoil Euro 0W40 is exactly the same as the new BMW M TwinPower Turbo 0W40? Bottle says it meets LL-01 and ACEA A3/B4. Looks like BMW recommends it for some of the M-powered cars.

With NOACK of 13%, I highly doubt it is same as BMW 0W40.
I would say that what you can buy in BMW bottle is Shell Helix Ultra 0W40 that meets BMW LL-01, MB 229.5, ACEA A3/B4 etc.
NOACK of 13% just means that Pennzoil 0W40 is somewhen in mediocre class along with Castrol 5W40 Made in USA (NJ Plant).

Hi drtyler, appreciate your curiosity, but we wanted to clear some things up. Pennzoil Euro 0W-40 is not the same motor oil as the BMW M TwinPower Turbo 0W-40 motor oil. In fact – just to clarify – the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W-40 does not carry the BMW LL01 credential. While the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-30 DOES carry the BMW LL01 credential, it is still not the same motor oil formulated for BMW. The motor oils are similar, but the BMW M TwinPower Turbo motor oil is a special blend made specifically for BMWs.

We understand your confusion because earlier this year it was announced that BMW genuine motor oil began being made exclusively by Shell utilizing Pennzoil PurePlus Technology. PurePlus Technology is a patented, revolutionary process that converts pure natural gas into the first-of-its-kind, high quality full synthetic base oil. Additionally, Pennzoil Platinum Synthetics are the only aftermarket motor oils recommended by BMW in North America.

For the M-Powered BMWs, pre-2012 M-Series BMWs call for a 10W-60 viscosity motor oil and post-2012 M-Series BMWs call for a 0W-40 viscosity motor oil. Hope this information was helpful and let us know if you have any additional questions! – The Pennzoil Team

the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W-40 does not carry the BMW LL01 credential.

Yet it meets MB 229.5, which is an even more stringent spec. So SOPUS deliberately omitted the BMW LL-01 spec from this oil's label so that the poor BMW owners would have to go buy it from the BMW service dept for twice the price.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Yet it meets MB 229.5, which is an even more stringent spec. So SOPUS deliberately omitted the BMW LL-01 spec from this oil's label so that the poor BMW owners would have to go buy it from the BMW service dept for twice the price.
smile.gif

lol... I think you said it exactly how it is QP.

I know that marketing is marketing, and Gena is trying to provide us with useful "information", but really, we are a different bunch, and a lot more "up to date" on oils and specs than the general public. In other words Gena, "Please omit the fluff and give us the real deal."

I especially like this one:

Additionally, Pennzoil Platinum Synthetics are the only aftermarket motor oils recommended by BMW in North America.

Let's try that again... "Additionally, any BMW LL-01 approved & certified oil will meet the warranty and lubrication requirements for gasoline-powered BMW vehicles where specified"
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back