Shift, how hard is not too hard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both too soft and too hard shift is bad for the transmission, but how can I know if it's at optimal firmness? James told me it's different for different cars, and only experience can tell. I think at least for a specific transmission there should be a preferred length of time for the RPM to drop. I checked the two tunes he sent to me. It went from softer than stock to harder than stock (see pics below). The harder one seems better to me, but I am not sure if it's too harsh. Another question is whether it's normal that the length of time for the RPM to drop for different gears is different.

I asked him to lower shift RPMs. They are lower now, but the engine sounds louder with the same RPM. Is it possible that the car can be programmed to just display RPM lower? The RPM stays at around 2000 on highway (60 to 80 mph). Is it normal? Is it possible to program it lower to improve fuel economy? For example, program it to shift to higher gear. Maybe this may make the RPM too high at high speed? Since the car is hardly driven at more than 80 mph, maybe that's not a concern?

I wonder if higher shift RPMs with light throttle in some cars with 6F35 transmission is a sign of potential problems. What to look at in the datalog to check if there are problems?

My car is 2012 Ford Fusion V6 3.0 with 6F35 transmission.
Stock tune:
view

James old tune:
view

James new tune:
view

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
If the tires chirp going from 1st to 2nd at 4500 rpm, that's just right.

Get me a 4.0L automatic Jeep Cherokee with stock sized tires and I can make it do that in 30 seconds!

It's a weird setup. Electronically controlled shifts, but the kickdown cable sets line pressure. Adjust the kickdown cable like it's at WOT and it shifts hard

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
If the tires chirp going from 1st to 2nd at 4500 rpm, that's just right.

You don't take into account the gear ratios, shift point, torque figure, friction coefficient between tyre and road, driving style, throttle position etc etc etc.....

Tuning by James. You can also use unleashed tuning. It took two weeks for James to update the tune. Maybe he's very busy. Torrie of unleashed tuning replies my emails super fast. Both of them do datalogging, but it seems that James didn't look at the datalog I sent him seriously. James does one tune for $100, but Torrie only does three tunes as a combo for $200. I don't know the quality of their work though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back