Motor flush affect the next oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would assume a small amount of a flush like Amsoil or Gumout would remain in oil that gets caught in areas of the heads and not drain out fully with and oil change.

How would this affect the next OCI? Is it such a small amount left that it won't matter or would that small amount affect TBN and viscosity in the next oil change?

Nothing of consequence IMO. The flush was only a small percentage of the old oil in the first place, and with the new fill the old oil is only a small percentage.

Could a lab find traces? I imagine so if they were specifically looking for it, but nothing that the user should be concerned about IMO.

If someone was that worried about having engine flush in their oil they shouldn't put it in their engine in the first place.

It doesn't affect it whatsoever. I use a 5 minute motor flush every oil change and it has never shown up in any of my UOAs. I just wait for it to drain completely. Every last drop. It takes a while, but it works.

Every oil change?? Lol ge'ez man. I'm just now contemplating doing a treatment on my 176k mile armada.

I was probably overthinking it. The armada always gets 8-10k mile changes so I was leery of chemical being left over in the oil for 10k miles or so. Thanks for the replies

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Every oil change?? Lol ge'ez man. I'm just now contemplating doing a treatment on my 176k mile armada.

I was probably overthinking it. The armada always gets 8-10k mile changes so I was leery of chemical being left over in the oil for 10k miles or so. Thanks for the replies

I have done one every oil change since the vehicle was practically brand new. It now (9 years and 100k miles later) still runs like a champ and the crankcase is clean as a whistle.

You will be fine. I will give you a word of warning though, your vehicle can be past the point of no return. If your motor is super sludged, you could do more harm than good. I would look at 5 minute motor flush as a routine / maintenance cleaner. If you have too much sludge in the motor, it could break some free and cause more harm than good. For severe sludge, you would have to pull valve covers and oil pan and get to cleaning!

no worries i have no sludge. its been ran on synthetics its whole life, doesnt use any oil with 8-10k mile oil changes. I bought a case of Amsoil SS for it and i thought about running a bottle of Amsoil motor flush before i try for a nice long extended drain!
thumbsup2.gif

what type of flush do you use?? I assume something you add to the old oil, idle 15 minutes and drain, change filter and refill with fresh oil?

What kind of oil do you use in your 4.7?

Originally Posted By: jk_636

I have done one every oil change since the vehicle was practically brand new. It now (9 years and 100k miles later) still runs like a champ and the crankcase is clean as a whistle.

You will be fine. I will give you a word of warning though, your vehicle can be past the point of no return. If your motor is super sludged, you could do more harm than good. I would look at 5 minute motor flush as a routine / maintenance cleaner. If you have too much sludge in the motor, it could break some free and cause more harm than good. For severe sludge, you would have to pull valve covers and oil pan and get to cleaning!

I use Berryman b12. Depending on size of engine I use about half the can. I think it's supposed to be 2oz per quart of oil capacity. Pour into cold crankcase. Start it and hold it about 1500rpm to 2000rpm for 5 minutes or until it has warmed up. Then idle it normally for about 5 more minutes before changing the oil. Let it drain longer than normal.

Originally Posted By: VNTS
what type of flush do you use?? I assume something you add to the old oil, idle 15 minutes and drain, change filter and refill with fresh oil?

What kind of oil do you use in your 4.7?

Originally Posted By: jk_636

Honestly whatever is on sale. Right now it is Mobil 1, Mobil 5000 before that, and Motocraft semi synthetic before that and on.

I add the can. Run for 5-10 minutes. Then drain completely. Change filter. Add new oil. And back to the races!

The lighter flushes or Gumout light volatile components will flash off the cylinder walls on a running engine with time going to the exhaust or through the pcv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back