2015 Oil Comparison Chart

Status
Not open for further replies.
To OP:
thumbsup2.gif

Kevin

Hello, this is my inagural post(kindof, 1 other post) and I've kindof been an oil guy for awhile now after working in a show for about 3 1/2 years befor emy current job. I try and read up on a lot of things prior to making my personal oil decision.

Anyway, What do all of those categories mean? Everywhere I see lists or spreadsheets like this nobody describes what the categories mean, because most reading already know what they are looking at. If somebody could describe them to me that would be fantastic. Or, just show me a link to them defined. Things such as; CCS -25*C-13*C. I assume these are flow rates for the given temperature but there is also MRV and what does the number actually signify?

I apologize for asking so many questions. I'm just trying to learn what all of these numbers mean.

MRV is mini-rotor viscometer, which is a very useful measure for cold cranking. CCS is cold cranking simulator. There is probably information at the front page here, on the PQIA website, probably places like Afton, and the ASTM website, though the stuff won't be free at that location.

Essentially, lower numbers within a category are better for cold cranking, but those numbers refer to the temperature at question. A 0w-XX oil will be desirable if one is starting unaided in a Saskatchewan winter, but will not mean it's too thin come summer, or has better pumpability at normal starting temperatures in the summer.

Originally Posted By: Garak
MRV is mini-rotor viscometer, which is a very useful measure for cold cranking. CCS is cold cranking simulator. There is probably information at the front page here, on the PQIA website, probably places like Afton, and the ASTM website, though the stuff won't be free at that location.

Essentially, lower numbers within a category are better for cold cranking, but those numbers refer to the temperature at question. A 0w-XX oil will be desirable if one is starting unaided in a Saskatchewan winter, but will not mean it's too thin come summer, or has better pumpability at normal starting temperatures in the summer.

To follow up - HTHS is High Temp High Shear, in other words, it's the viscosity measurement of the oil in a running motor in locations which can be considered hards on oil. Generally speaking, the higher the number the higher the film strength, higher the drag, and lower the potential for viscosity decrease. Lower the number and you've got lower film strength, lower drag, an increased probability if viscosity loss.

NOACK is the percentage of oil lost.

TBN is the Total Base Number, essentially the size and/or strength of the additive package.

These are very, very, unscientific descriptions but hopefully it's easy to understand.

go to themotoroilevaluators.com, lots of specs of many many oils. you must register, its free then click on view the specs, small version is free. some are older as noted, lots of good info there.

Not that this graph really tells much about the performance of the oil in an engine, but Amsoil has some specs to be beat.

Nice chart, you should add TRC OILS.

Originally Posted By: zpinch
Redline

Peak and Redline will be next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back