A/C problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
2007 Honda Pilot a/c started blowing warm back in Septmber. Had a local shop I've used for years look at it and charge it but two days later it was blowing warm again. Since it was almost fall/winter decided to wait until now to have it looked at again. Took back to same shop and they vacuum tested it and put dye in and found no leaks so they charged it again. Now two days later it's blowing warm again. Seems there has to be a leak somewhere or could it be something else? Any help is appreciated.

Take it to a different mechanic. If there's no visible leaks outside, the evaporator in the dash might have a leak.

Hope not as in my wife's '93 Grand Cherokee=to R+R the evaporator the dash had to come out and dealer and indy both said more $ than the Jeep is worth and I figured after all the horsing about 10 dash related problems would pop up-

Might be an issue with controls, whether for the AC compressor itself, the thermal controls inside the AC loop itself (which apparently exist on Hondas), or the air controls inside the air box itself.

Maybe run your symptoms by a forum more specific to your vehicle? I guess someone could throw a set of gauges on your AC system and tell you if the charge has leaked out, but that doesn't seem all that likely if it passed the vacuum test previously.

Is the system empty or are they just blindly topping it off?

Could be the expansion valve. Hondas have issues with them. But if the system truly is losing freon then clearly there's a major issue somewhere.

If it's losing enough freon to have an issue after 2 days I'd assume placing the system on a vacuum wouldn't be possible...

Last edited:
Is one of your valves leaking? In an a/c system there are two schrader valves. One on the high pressure side, one on the low pressure side.

If one is leaking, it won't show up in a leak test since that's where the machine is hooked up to. Are they actually pulling a vaccuum and seeing if it holds for 20 mins? Or are they just adding dye and performing a visual inspection?

Did you pay for it? I'd get your money back if so. Could always threaten report them to the EPA if they refuse to refund, it's a MASSIVE fine for recharging a customer's leaking a/c system

Take it to another shop i had a customer ask me about his Honda Pilot thay has a/c problems but i don't remember what year but remember it had under 70,000 miles he said the dealer wanted $900.00 i sent him to a local shop that specializes in a/c down the block from the engine shop and they fixed it for around $300.00 it was a valve if i recall but im not certain.

Is this A/C system electronically controlled? Sometimes you have to pull diagnostic trouble codes that an ordinary OBDII scanner can't read.

Sometimes the high pressure or low pressure system switches fail. If they fail in the open position, the A/C compressor clutch doesn't engage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back