Think I made mistake with Lucas - now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tried searching with no luck with my specific problem - if it has been posted before I apologize.

Situation: I have a 2006 Saleen/Mustang 3V with normal aspirated 4.6 with 69,000 miles. It developed a tapping noise after last OC about 1-2000 miles ago. Oil was Valvoline full syn 5W/20. The car has been well taken care of - the last 1.5 yrs I have put very few miles on it. As stated the tapping started after OC (I think) but it also could have been after a prolonged period of not driving (2-3 months).

Thinking it might be related to OC, I just had another OC and was talked into Lucas Oil Stabilizer. I usually research products before I try them but this time did not. The tapping is now the same or more pronounced which brought me to this wonderful site. If my problem is a tapping valve from sludge or deposits then I doubt the Lucas will help - correct? (no detergent, higher viscosity)

I was thinking about draining a quart and adding MMO or similar. Are there any compatibility issues with Lucas and MMO, or should I just eat the $$ and get another oil change. Or should I give the Lucas a chance - after reading this site I think (at least in my situation) that the Lucas was a mistake.

Mike

Don't add anything else,you'll just dilute the add pack even more.I would drain and refill.The tapping is either low oil flow into the lifter(sludge) or leaking lifters which mean replacement.

Lucas is heavy base oil without additives, so you're diluting the properly-formulated synthetic oil with cheap junk.

MMO is a light oil, but adding that will further dilute what you've got in there.

Stop.

Drain the mixture and fill it with oil. No more additives.

I'd probably give it a fill of Mobil 1 High Mileage. It has higher levels of additives which may help. Did the Saleen require a specific weight? 5w-20 or 5w-30 would be a good start.

Welcome to the site.

Saleen specifies 5W/20. I called the place that did the OC in question and the computer said 5W/20 was used

The reason for asking about MMO is wondering if I have deposits or sludge related to not driving would a product to "clean" the valves be worth trying (knowing that the next step is finding a mechanic I can trust)

Run a quality full synthetic oil of the recommended grade. Maybe pull the valve cover to see if there is any sludge. Forget the oil additives, especially Lucas anything.

Some times a bad drainback valve in the oil filter will cause problems.

I would make sure a good motorcraft filter was used, at the least. Maybe a premium M1 or fram ultra.

For oil, actually the motorcraft semi syn is pretty decent oil.

Rod

Change oil and add Rislone Engine Treatment for a short OCI. Rislone is a 20 weight formulation, much thicker than MMO.

http://rislone.com/product/engine-treatment-concentrate/

k2-_f7c9862f-aa6b-4b2f-9585-45a08aaf9b47.v1.jpg

As others have posted, stop now and do an oil change.
The tapping was/is probably from a lash adjuster that bled down over time, its a common occurrence and nothing to worry about.
Its usually remedied by an oil change and bringing the engine up to 4,000 RPM for about 2-3 min on the highway.

Try Pennzoil Platinum in it with a good filter like Fram Ultra, Wix, Mobil 1 (no Purolators), it has good cleaning properties without the need to use any other OTC additives.
If there are any deposits the PP will clean them up over time without any help.

Originally Posted By: mmski
Don't want to beat a dead horse - would you use any cleanser/additive prior to OC?

No. No more additives without knowing what you're trying to fix.

If you pull a valve cover and find some nasty sludge that needs to be cleaned up, you can try something like Kreen, but not without first identifying the problem.

Just dump the mixture that's in there now and refill with a quality synthetic.

One thing to consider - Amsoil Z-Rod 10w-30 is formulated with a stout add-pack and extra corrosion inhibitors to help out during storage. If it's being parked more than driven, that's a possibility.

Thanks for the replies - I asked the question for just this reason and will take the advice.

I will try to update when I get a chance - obviously will take some time

MMO would be good for cleaning out any residual sludge build up but if you have taken care of that motor (which I suspect you have) it would not do much good for this specific application.

I would do another oil change and use a different filter. Some filters seem to create lifter tick (either continual or on start up) in different vehicles

Good luck!

Contrary to popular belief that "not driving a car to save mileage so it can have better value when selling it" is actually not good.

I would change the oil and drive it like crazy, see if it solves the problem.

This comes from personal experience with a Lexus that started leaking oil from everywhere and smoking due to not driving it often. So, after driving around 5000 miles, all the leaks and smoke stopped.

So driving a car will reduce its resale value, not driving a car will reduce its resale value because it will cause it to break.

Bottom line, drive it like crazy. If it breaks, at least you enjoy it.

Skip the additives. Drain what's in there now and fill it with a good 10W30 and a Motorcraft oil filter (Walmart). Didn't the 4.6 spec a 30 weight when it came out? My friend's 96 GT went to almost 300,000 miles on Pennzoil mineral 10W30. Ran perfectly with no weird noises ever. Car got rear ended one night and took it out of service unfortunately.

Originally Posted By: JMJNet
Contrary to popular belief that "not driving a car to save mileage so it can have better value when selling it" is actually not good.

I would change the oil and drive it like crazy, see if it solves the problem.

This comes from personal experience with a Lexus that started leaking oil from everywhere and smoking due to not driving it often. So, after driving around 5000 miles, all the leaks and smoke stopped.

So driving a car will reduce its resale value, not driving a car will reduce its resale value because it will cause it to break.

Bottom line, drive it like crazy. If it breaks, at least you enjoy it.

I did this with my truck (let it sit) and yes I saved gas money but it also got rusty underneath from sitting outside on a wet driveway 6 months a year. Letting anything mechanical sit unused is a bad idea!

Last edited:
People are way too concerned about tappet noise. I drove a brand new vette and it made so much noise I thought it had solid lifers.

Brand spanking new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back