This Is You

Status
Not open for further replies.
 -

Every web server software made logs that info every time your browser makes a request to it, so it's a piece of cake to grab that info in a script. It's still a little shocking to see it displayed to you, though.

Matt,

The only thing that is displayed in the box, is what you see. Each person that opens this page can only see thier own info. I can only see my info in the box.

cheers.gif

Oh, I understand, I was just stating that information like your IP address, browser name, operating system, etc. are stored on a web server every time you make a request to that server. This goes for any web site, be it BITOG, CNN, Amazon, whatever. The script that generates that picture is just tapping into the information stored on the server that hosts the picture when you call it up.

biggthumbcoffe.gif

There was a pop up on fox.com tonight identifying me as using Linux and Konqueror. It invited me to click for a computer tune up. I have some minor problems, but was too paranoid to try. Fox and Yahoo both have everything jumbled on top of each other since they updated their sites a few months ago. they work fine with Mozilla. Maybe I should try Foxfire.

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
There was a pop up on fox.com tonight identifying me as using Linux and Konqueror. It invited me to click for a computer tune up. I have some minor problems, but was too paranoid to try.

There is fine line between paranoid and heightened awareness, you were definitely being aware, not paranoid.

The best you could reasonably expect would be to only get some spyware installed on your machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back