Understanding oil add packs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious as I'm still new here and new to the real technicals of oils. What are good things to look for in oil add packs? How do I determine that it's a very good oil? What additives are best? What's too low of a value for these additives? Is there such thing as too high? I know for zddp it's rumored that high levels ruin catalytic converters but from what I've read they need to be pretty high. I'm sure there's already been an article on this so if someone can either point me in the right direction or explain it that would be great. Thanks!!!

Here is an older VOA, but shows some top stuff for an oil.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/2012 April results/Amsoil.htm

3000+ Calcium
150+ Moly
236 boron
700/800 on the Phos/Zinc

Those are some of the important ones.

Look at all these others oils just for comparison and see how much less they typically use.

http://pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

Here is what you might be looking for, now that i re read your post more closely.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/whats-in-your-motor-oil/

What are things to look for in oil for a 2002 turbo charged car? Or are most the same anymore?

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
Just curious as I'm still new here and new to the real technicals of oils. What are good things to look for in oil add packs? How do I determine that it's a very good oil? What additives are best? What's too low of a value for these additives? Is there such thing as too high? I know for zddp it's rumored that high levels ruin catalytic converters but from what I've read they need to be pretty high. I'm sure there's already been an article on this so if someone can either point me in the right direction or explain it that would be great. Thanks!!!

What oils? PCMO, ATF, MTF, GO, PSF?

You can't tell what oil is 'good' from a simple VOA/UOA. All that tells you is some basic physical and chemical properties (most of which are controlled within a specification) and then some chemical element levels. Knowing how much calcium is in an oil tells you nothing about its performance; you need to know what form (molecules or salts) that calcium is in. The same goes for Zn, P, Mg, B, Ti, W, Tc or any other chemical element. You then need to know how each of these works together and how they age.

Stop over-thinking it - the specifications tell you what oil is suitable for which application. Additional performance benefits tell you how much better/different a given oil may be compared to expectations. Very few people here know anything about formulating oils.

Buy an oil from a trusted company with the proper specs and 99% of the battle has been won.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
Originally Posted By: 02s4audi

What oils? PCMO, ATF, MTF, GO, PSF?

I guess the OP left the building and wanted instant answers but didn't want to answer thoughtful questions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back