Charcoal canister question. Subaru Impreza.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know with other cars that have the canister up under the hood. If charcoal comes out of them they are bad.

However, with the rear mounted canisters used on the subarus. Is it normal/ok for charcoal to come out if it's shaken or is that a sign of a bad canister? My canister looks perfectly fine. The holes on the inside of the canister are rather large which allows for the small charcoal pieces to come out if shaken.

Anyone know if it's ok on Subaru canisters to have charcoal come out or is that a sign of a failed canister.

Everything looks good. I'm not getting any check engine lights. Only had it off because I was getting a gas smell sometimes when the car is shut off. I found a hose that was lose which I believe was the problem. Just wondering if I should replace the canister or not due to charcoal coming out.

Thoughts?

hqdefault.jpg

This is what mine looks like. Located all the way in the back of the car.

Typically, the charcoal is in a solid brick.

It is not uncommon that some bits will break off over time.

If the brick is broken up, replace the canister. Should not be expensive.

The smell of gasoline can be a symptom of a bad canister.

Haven't drove it enough to tell but I'm pretty sure the problem was a lose hose that was venting the vapors directly to the air, the hose EASILY slipped off with a slight pull. I've since added a band clamp which was missing.

Sure it is normally a brick? Every single example of a charcoal canister I've seen is loose charcoal.

carbon-canister.jpg

Even the diagrams.

I've asked a few subaru friends and they all said theirs sounds like sand inside, but they all have higher miles so it could be that all of them are bad. =(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back