mobil1 ep or pennzoil platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here soon the impala will b due for an oil change and i want to go run the OLM all the way down to 0%. Im trying to decide between mobil1 ep or new pennzoil platinum. Also what would b a good oil filter to run? Ive used acdelco and mobil1 filters before.

Platinum is good for olm at 0%. If you wanted to go farther like 10k plus I would use the EP with a Mobil 1 filter or fram Ultra. I would also do a uoa if you want to go that far.

I have used a fram filter in years because they use to b bad. But the fram ultra is good?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
I have used a fram filter i yeras because they use to b bad. But the fram ultra is good?

The OCOD is still a cheap filter and you can do better for the same or similar price.

The high end Frams are much better so people say.

I still use M1 for the most part.

If your Impala is older than 2011, even dino will work for running the OLM to 0%

Even if your car is 2011 or newer than any dexos syn blend will be fine going all the way to zero. Pannzoil Gold, Maxlife, Magnatec, or possibly a house brand synthetic. Use the cheapest dexos you can find and use that.

That said, nothing is wrong with either PP or EP. Whichever you can get at the best price.

I remeber reading somewhere the acdelco filters were junk? Its a 10 impala i run syn because im hard on the vehicle and i still owe 3.5 yrs on the loan.

Last edited:
I remeber reading somewhere the acdelco filters were junk? Its a 10 impala i run syn because im hard on the vehicle and i still owe 3.5 yrs on the loan.
you could also run dino and put the savings to payments!

I have converted over to a steady diet of Fram filters, either the grey or gold cans. They are really well made.
I run PP for 10k or one year in my CR-V and M1 in my Pilot but that only gets about 6200k before the OLM comes up at 5%. It's a really short trip car.

Fram Ultra is one of the 3 or 4 best filters available. Its better than an AC-Delco, its better than a Mobil 1 (which is a good filter, just doesn't have wire-backed synthetic media.) Avoiding a Fram Ultra because the basic Fram has a bad reputation would be like avoiding a Corvette because the Chevy Spark is cheesy.

If you just can't stomach a Fram, then buy a Purolator Synthetic, Royal Purple, or Amsoil EAO if you want a top-of-the-line filter. If you want one step down: M1. If you want a good quality basic filter, use a Wix.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Fram Ultra is one of the 3 or 4 best filters available. Its better than an AC-Delco, its better than a Mobil 1 (which is a good filter, just doesn't have wire-backed synthetic media.) Avoiding a Fram Ultra because the basic Fram has a bad reputation would be like avoiding a Corvette because the Chevy Spark is cheesy.

If you just can't stomach a Fram, then buy a Purolator Synthetic, Royal Purple, or Amsoil EAO if you want a top-of-the-line filter. If you want one step down: M1. If you want a good quality basic filter, use a Wix.

Ok, something to think about. Whats wrong with an acdelco?

ChevyBadger. If you wanted to go farther like 10k plus I would use the EP with a Mobil 1 filter or fram Ultra. I would also do a uoa if you want to go that far.[/quote said:
M-1EP....and a Fram Ultra filter....would be my choice for a 10k plus OCI. The Mobil 1 filter would work as well

There is a good REBATE right now for $15 (see rebate section) on M-1 oil and filter.

Alright so PP it is. I really don't wanna put a fram on my car. How about an acdelco?

I'm not a big fan of the AC Delco e core but if you can find the AC Delco with steel center tube go for it. The Fram Tough Guards are really good though. Lots of bad information floating around. They are 99% efficient at 20 microns which is among the highest efficiency ratings you can get, last I checked ac delco was less than 94% efficient at 20 microns.

The tough guards are also rated for 7,500 mile intervals, they have a high glass content synthetic blend media and also use a silicone anti drain back valve which is the best material for that.

I would recommend a Fram Ultra but it's over kill for this application, rated for 15,000 miles between changes with dual layer full synthetic media, I consider them the best filter on the market for the price. Fram Ultras exceed 99% efficiency at 20 microns and also 80%@5 microns.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Alright so PP it is. I really don't wanna put a fram on my car. How about an acdelco?

I'm not a big fan of the AC Delco e core but if you can find the AC Delco with steel center tube go for it. The Fram Tough Guards are really good though. Lots of bad information floating around. They are 99% efficient at 20 microns which is among the highest efficiency ratings you can get, last I checked ac delco was less than 94% efficient at 20 microns.

The tough guards are also rated for 7,500 mile intervals, they have a high glass content synthetic blend media and also use a silicone anti drain back valve which is the best material for that.

I would recommend a Fram Ultra but it's over kill for this application, rated for 15,000 miles between changes with dual layer full synthetic media, I consider them the best filter on the market for the price. Fram Ultras exceed 99% efficiency at 20 microns and also 80%@5 microns.

Acdelco e core? Whats the difference. I usally just pick an acdelco off the shelf at walamrt...

Last edited:
M1 EP over both Platinum and Ultra. Unlike Ultra, M1 EP is easy to find and is only $26.xx at Walmart.

Ecore = cardboard center rib construction vs metal. Same goes for the end caps.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with AC Delco. You have an Impala which is GM and GM makes the filter. Anything goes wrong you have 100k powertrain warranty but why chance dealer telling you engine failure is due to filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back