Pepboys startrer 2002 Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have gone through 2 starters. Both jobs are done by Pep Boys. Both times, gear on the starter solenoid is crumble in pieces. First time they had to remove the trans to pick up the pieces. Second time, i dont think they did remove the broken pieces. My questions are: if the broken pieces are left in the housing, would that cause any major problems? Are these Pep Boys Starter prone to be broken like that.
We now (3rd starter) asked pep boys order a starter from toyota dealership. If problem persist, we need to figure out whats wrong....

Last edited:
You trusted Pep Boys to remove your transmission to get out chunks of their junk starter? I would have demanded a real repair shop do the work with a different brand of starter on Pep Boys dime.

I wouldn't let a Pepboys mechanic come near my car with a ten foot pole, let alone let my car enter one of their bays.

Originally Posted By: hypervish
I wouldn't let a Pepboys mechanic come near my car with a ten foot pole, let alone let my car enter one of their bays.
Yup, I wouldn't let them put washer fluid in my car.

Either the mesh between the gears isn't right,or else they are rebuilding the drives,reusing the old gear itself.

not my car, i dont have time to fix my mom car. I figured this is a simple fix. Cant believe that! they said they are loosing money...lol Guess no next time,,,,,, Its part of warranty that came from the first repair...

Last edited:
2 things you need to verify:

(1) on the flywheel side: no chipped gear tooth/teeth or abnormal wear;

(2) on the starter gear side: same thing.

Most reman starters are terrible in terms of quality, so you get what you pay for.

Lastly: if they (pepboxys) failed you again, consider taking some sort of elevated action against their management. IMHO this kind of service is unacceptable.

Q.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3727138/Re:_Need_a_starter_for_the_Jee#Post3727138

This thread is relevant to your situation.

I've been well served by a Denso starter in my 4 Runner. Coming up on 20 years and 200,000 miles.

You get what you pay for and your time/hassle is worth something.

I had Pepboys change out a heater core on a Mercury Sable. It was a very expensive repair. Something like 6 hours of labor. The new core leaked 2 weeks after installation. They changed it out under warranty. Said they had a bad batch of heater cores and they didn't pressure test them on incoming inspection.

The two AutoZone starters I installed are still going strong.

I installed a Chinese (I found out) starter in a Toyota Camry, it is not as quiet as an OEM because it was designed to be common to some Toyota trucks as well. It is clearly more powerful than the OEM in my other Camry and has worked for for 10 years.

I replaced the starter in daughters 02 camry v6. I used an autozone rebuilt(Denso) duralast, lifetime guarantee. Once the battery and air box etc are removed, the starter is on top in plain view. If one tried to get it in there the lazy short cut way I can see how they could put it in wrong because it is impossible almost to see what is going on.
I doubt a builder puts "crumbly" gears on a lifetime starter, they probably come out of the same rebuilding factories with different store names on them. Something doesn't sound right with the Pep Boys story you were told, unless you saw it for yourself and saw the removed transmission. Unless you saw it, I wouldn't believe them, and it was just poor and probably careless work, not the materials.
You should have another shop inspect the ring gear for damage, and put a Denso OE rebuilt starter in. The auto store brands have a better lifetime warranty though.

i normally dont buy stuff from pep boys, but i am too busy to mess with cars nowadays..

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I would not put a rebuilt starter (or alternator) from Pep Boys/Autozone/Advance Auto in my car.

I did and, boy, do I regret it. Should have just paid for next day shipping and gotten a Delco from Amazon. It would have been well worth the nearly 2x price. Seriously.

I wouldn't want to use anything other than one from the dealership, or one from the same company that built the original starter.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
I would not put a rebuilt starter (or alternator) from Pep Boys/Autozone/Advance Auto in my car.

I did and, boy, do I regret it. Should have just paid for next day shipping and gotten a Delco from Amazon. It would have been well worth the nearly 2x price. Seriously.

Well, it seems that since I bought my starter last year the price at Advance has more than doubled. It was $76 when I bought mine, now it's $176. Same part number. A Delco from Amazon is now by far the better deal.

Last edited:

Well, it seems that since I bought my starter last year the price at Advance has more than doubled. It was $76 when I bought mine, now it's $176. Same part number. A Delco from Amazon is now by far the better deal.

They are probably "padding" the price to compensate for using their "discount codes". Some stuff is still priced good with the discount code though, you just have to shop wisely.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back