How Old Are My tyres?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please note that I am in the UK.

On two of my tyres I can see the DOT numbers, but on the other two I can see no DOT details.

How can I determine the age of these tyres?

A supplementary question:

How old does a tyre have to be to be considered old?

Thanks

Last edited:
Well, what are the DOT numbers?

On the two tires that you don't see DOT numbers, they are possibly on the other sidewall that you cannot see. Either jack up the car or take the wheels off to see it.

Generally, anything over 10 years is too old, but there are many exceptions to this rule.

If there's no date stamp, I guess you should call the manufacturer and ask how to determine the manufacturing date of their tires. What brand is this? I consider tires that are 5 years old as old. Rubber oxidizes and as a result hardens, cracks then crumbles with age.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Well, what are the DOT numbers?

On the two tires that you don't see DOT numbers, they are possibly on the other sidewall that you cannot see. Either jack up the car or take the wheels off to see it.

Generally, anything over 10 years is too old, but there are many exceptions to this rule.

+1 Check the inside sidewall.

The dude is in UK and it may be possible to buy tyres that aren't DOT approved.

If you google your make and model you can sometimes find a press release from when they introduce it. Since it's usually about six years until they "improve" said model, you can get a rough idea of its model run.

I would pay attention to any sort of serial numbers you can find that are "dented in" to the sidewall and not molded-out.

We are currently babysitting a 633CSI with fatguy TRX tires which are about 30 years old. The tread area looks like a recap about to part company with the tire casing. New non-TRX tires and wheels on the way.

Long version:

http://www.barrystiretech.com/dotcoding.html

Short version:

Find the letters DOT, then record the 11 or 12 digit number (which has letters, so it really isn't a number is it?). The last 4 digits are the date code in a week/week/year/year format.

Please note: The date code only has to appear on one side, so you may have to look at both sides of the tire to get the full code.

Thanks to all for the information.

Best wishes.

Ps. I believe that DOT stands for 'Department of Transportation', which I think is an American standard. I am surprised that the EU does not include a stamp indicating an acceptable standard as well. I mention this point out of interest, I don't expect anyone on the board to have knowledge relating to the EU.

Originally Posted By: anon_private
Thanks to all for the information.

Best wishes.

Ps. I believe that DOT stands for 'Department of Transportation' .......

Correct.

Quote:
...... which I think is an American standard.....

Well, the DOT has regulations concerning tires, and those letters means the tires meet those regulations.

Quote:
........ I am surprised that the EU does not include a stamp indicating an acceptable standard as well. .....

There are EU regulations and compliance is indicated by an E symbol. Read this:

Tire Rack - Government Approval Marks

Originally Posted By: anon_private
Thank you

What brand and model of tires are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back