2014 FORD F-250 factory filter (diesel/CUT OPEN)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening folks. Friend stopped in to the garage yesterday and I chNged the 8,900 mile factory fill out on his 2014 F-250 Super Duty quad can 6.7 diesel. Champion labs made it looks like. Put Rotella 10w30 conventional and a Napa filter on. Enjoy the photos and any questions, concerns please ask. Has 2 pleats glued together also, forgot to take pic of that.

j78g9f.jpg

xfdv1c.jpg

28ku3ap.jpg

25g8l61.jpg

2wr13du.jpg

snm6oz.jpg

1y9t9j.jpg

28hoks0.jpg

j78g9f.jpg

Looks good. However there is one curious difference between this filter and other FoMoCo factory filters.

This filter uses a coil retainer spring and opposed to vast majority that use a leaf spring. Actaully can't remember seeing another. On the new CARQUEST filters also made by Champ, the promo video touts the leaf spring for it's ability to spread the force over the outer part of the endcap. 'To me' that just sounds like marketing.

Since this is for diesel applications, makes me think that might be factor. Like to know why coil spring is chosen for this application.

Either way though imo, leaf or coil spring, as long as they function as designed it's no biggie.

Does the CA on the top stand for made in Canada, or is there a COO somewhere else on the can? Maybe it stands for California?

Thanks for the pics.

Sayjac; I didn't see a country of origin and just FoMoCo on side decal of black painted filter. You are welcome for the pics and the spring was short I think, but I don't make filters.

I would honestly guess that #'s after CA are possibly a part# not sure. Maybe someone here possibly knows. I am trying to find out too
wink.gif

As for spring being 'short', as long as the element/adbv is/was held firmly as designed, shouldn't be an issue. Wix and Balwin both use coil retainers, they seem to get the job done.

Fwiw, it appears Champ does have offices in Canada and California.

From what I know all ford 6.7 filters use a coil spring I may be wrong but I have cut many of them even budget/low end filters and all of them have a coil spring / silicone adbv / and the really thick pleats like this one

DLundblad; welcome to the world of diesel, and SOOT! LOL! I have helped work on a few and this is nothing new for me.

Dirty oil like that is the norm on the new EGR laden diesels. You should see the intakes and heads on them after 80-100K miles. Some are completly clogged with soot and will lead to a burned up engine. Soot in that amount in the oil is abrasive. EGR diesels dont last near as long as they used to. It shows up here in UOA's

Compare a UOA that I have posted in the past on my Duramax which has a blocked EGR to one with an active EGR. Wear metals are MUCH MUCH higher with the same mileage on the oil.

A new vehicle that cost 40K, or maybe more, plus tax, plus license, plus insurance, all high range, doesn't get a $50 oil change sooner? I don't get it. I never have or will have the opportunity to spend that kind of dough on a new car. I would spend a couple hundred to install a good bypass oil filter though, in addition to the full flow filter.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
A new vehicle that cost 40K, or maybe more, plus tax, plus license, plus insurance, all high range, doesn't get a $50 oil change sooner? I don't get it. I never have or will have the opportunity to spend that kind of dough on a new car. I would spend a couple hundred to install a good bypass oil filter though, in addition to the full flow filter.

I don't know the sump capacity of the 6.7, but my 6.0 piles of garbage have 15qt of capacity (maybe something like 14.8, I forget). If it was a lot of highway miles, 8,900 is not a lot when you have a big sump. It is amazing how long some of those PSD go, some folks ignore them too long (and the 7.3 was forgiving, the 6.0 not). My last "top-off" with a weeping gasket was 3-ish quarts... there was oil on the dip-stick, but not much. I had to fuss at my drivers with that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back