Best Tree Sap Remover - EVER !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tried many remedies for tree sap removal (i.e. Goop Off , Gasoline , MMO , WD-40 , Hand Sanitizer) - simply put , NOTHING works easier and safer than : Zeiss Pre - Moistened Lens Cleaner Wipes (available at WM). I had hard , baked on , thick tree sap on my car and one Zeiss Lens Wipe lasted long enough to take care of 4 or 5 decent sized "blobs" of tree sap . I was amazed at how easy the tree sap was removed - little to no hard rubbing involved at all !! * I'm not sure of the exact ingredients list of the Zeiss Lens Wipes - but from the smell it appears to have a healthy dose of isopropyl alcohol as a main ingredient ? ... At any rate , my household has 4 people who wear glasses so I always have a box of Zeiss lens wipes on hand - now I will keep a few in my glove box for cleaning driving glasses plus a quick way to rid any tree sap that may land on the paint surface from time to time . Lastly , you have to try these Zeiss individual pre - moistened lens wipes on tree sap (no matter how old the tree sap is ) - you will be amazed !!

* Please Note : I have zero affiliation with Zeiss products - I simply found an unbelievable technique to rid a problem (tree sap) that has plagued me for years !!

Interesting, but I wouldn't use it on my paint. I use Rain-x bug and tar remover, it works well on sap too and is safe for your paint.

Right. Maybe there is a reason that straight alcohol is generally not in the detailer's bag of tools. Alcohol will quickly take the shine right out of your paint. Keep your car clean and waxed, and bugs will come right off. Commercial bug removers and cleaner wax do the trick on unwaxed surfaces, but you have to be patient. Also, make sure the car is well-washed before you start. Lastly, claybar has an important place too.

If you are so pumped on using lens wipes on your car, show us pictures!

Funny, Zeiss is the only wipe I've used on my phone screens (iPhone, android) that leaves zero residue.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
isopropyl alcohol works excellent and is probably the cheapest of all the options.

With all due respect, you are cruising a couple of well-worn Chevies. If you had a newer sled, would you be saying the same thing.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I use Pledge Furniture Polish.

This may work on the bugs, but assuredly leaves an oily residue.

Originally Posted By: TomYoung
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I use Pledge Furniture Polish.

This may work on the bugs, but assuredly leaves an oily residue.

Why would you add oil to Pledge?

Just use it straight from the spray can. It won't damage the surface and does an excellent job of cleaning. It won't attract dust and it leaves no residue at all. No streaks, nothing in those crevices or hard to reach corners.

Some people spray it on auto glass and scrub it in before going through the car wash. They do the same, like a pre-wash on bugs, tar, bird droppings and other tough to clean spots.

Others use it as a last minute touch up for a car show. It leaves no traces in difficult to reach areas and leaves no residue.

Since you've never tried it, you might be in for a surprise. Spray it on, wipe if off. Or don't and just decide that it's no good and that people that use it don'w know what they're doing. Lots of people make decisions like that.

isopropyl alcohol works excellent and is probably the cheapest of all the options.

With all due respect, you are cruising a couple of well-worn Chevies. If you had a newer sled, would you be saying the same thing.

I have newer sleds and I say the same thing. Use the 70% and add a tiny bit of water, nothing I've found works better. Reapply LSP over the treated area.

Goo Gone did not work , tried a bug & tar remover (forgot brand from WM) and it did not work . Car is a '10 Elantra - after using a single Zeiss lens wipe I cleaned and waxed over the area using Turtle wax ICE and to my eyes I can see no damage , no change visually in appearance that I can detect and water beads evenly across both treated and untreated areas after waxing . The only thing missing is tree sap - the paint finish itself is unchanged in sun or cloudy outdoor light conditions . * Now if I made a mistake and a month from now the paint peels , bubbles . clear coat seems to have been damaged , etc. I will be the first to report back here and save you from a mistake . * I have to believe a modern clear coat on a car can withstand a gentle useage of a Zeiss lens wipe !

No offense taken. I have used this on newer and older cars when I was detailing cars with great success. As mentioned before you can reapply the LSP after you're done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back