2017 Tesla Model-3 200 Miles Range at $35,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like more of an Accord or Camry alternative, since it would provide very low cost motoring on a longish commute for a number of years.
You'd need to do the math carefully though and you'd have to factor in the mileage tax that the owners of these vehicles will inevitably see in the near future.

I think Model 3 is perfect for drivers who commute 40-50 miles or less a day, they can charge the battery overnight and usually the cost of electricity is less at night. Also, some companies have charging stations that EV drivers can use during the time they are working(likely free of charge). Many shopping centers have charging station too(closer to entrance door), you go shopping for couple hours and use it for free.

I never thought about owning an EV vehicle, until this Model 3.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Yeah, this'll be pretty much the perfect car for most people.

Whose idea of a perfect car is one that costs nearly twice as much as a Civic, but can only be driven around town?

Originally Posted By: emg

Whose idea of a perfect car is one that costs nearly twice as much as a Civic, but can only be driven around town?

200 miles is only good for around town? I guess if you drive more than 50kmiles per year then yes this is the wrong vehicle for you.

Cripes at my ridiculous 100 miles round trip commute this car would work for me. Assuming it can last twenty years or more it could make a financial case for itself I think.

Originally Posted By: emg

How many people drives more than 200 miles a day ? The vast majority commuters drive less than 100 miles round trip daily. 200 miles range is much more than urban commuters such as BMW i3 and many other EV's. Many work places and shopping centers have chargers installed the last few years, those chargers are usually close to entrance door.

EV's is not for everyone, but for many commuters it can be a good replacement if their commuting match the capacity the EV's provide. As of now the price is higher than gasoline vehicles because the high cost of battery. But battery price is expected to decrease every year by about 5-10%, in 8-10 years EV's cost is about the same as gasoline vehicles. But the problem is electricity demand will be much higher and cost may increase substantial.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
How smooth is the idle on that Model S ?

Very smooth ! The electric engine is off therefore no vibration and no noise.

I wonder what servicing costs would be like.

Simple gasoline cars(Accord/Civic etc) while they have many more thing to go arry the individual pieces and not excessive to replace. It seems like fewer parts in an electric car with massive price tag for part if failure happens. No idea.

The majority of gasoline cars the repairs are tolerable to most folks out of warranty. This vehicle would scare me in long term as nothing published.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
200 miles would last me at least a week if not longer.

Plus there are literally no bad consequences to short trips.

Plus your running costs (maintenance and fuel) essentially go to zero, except for repairs -- of which you'll have less to do than in a normal car.

Etc.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
I wonder what servicing costs would be like.

Simple gasoline cars(Accord/Civic etc) while they have many more thing to go arry the individual pieces and not excessive to replace. It seems like fewer parts in an electric car with massive price tag for part if failure happens. No idea.

The majority of gasoline cars the repairs are tolerable to most folks out of warranty. This vehicle would scare me in long term as nothing published.

Well as you said, there just isn't much that could need maintenance in the first place. It will certainly need repairs, but those will be less frequent as well because there's just less that could possibly break.

No oil changes, partly because there are no combustion byproducts. No belts (all accessories are electric), no spark plugs, no exhaust to rust out. Transmission has only one gear, so no clutch packs, no solenoids, no torque converter, no TCU. The list goes on.

What's left? Brakes, suspension, interior electronics, tires, safety equipment -- none of which is any more complicated than in any comparable car (largely because a lot of it actually comes directly from comparable cars). Brakes will last longer because of regen; everything else stands a good chance of lasting longer as well because it's subjected to less heat and NVH.

Some Model Ss have had to have repairs done. Nothing out-of-the-ordinary for a first-gen product. They should be cherry from here.

The cars may need battery replacements MANY years down the line. That'll be a big expense for sure -- but even at current prices (which are WAY higher than they will be in several years), it's nowhere near enough to cancel out the savings.

And let's not forget, it'll replace your entire fuel bill with a slight bump in your electric bill. I can't speak for anyone else but replacing my car with a Model S would cut those costs by 90%. The Model 3 will have a shorter range, but should be more efficient (i.e. fewer kWh per mile).

How many repairs have you done where an electric motor (or something resembling that) had to be replaced? I bet quite a lot! Starters, alternators, window regulators, door lock actuators, solenoids etc break and need replacement.

How many electronic boards have needed replacement? One would have thought non-moving parts should have infinite life time but that is not the case. Power supplies blow, capacitors short out, drivers go kaput.

There are many different stuff inside Tesla drive-train that can go wrong. Not having enough database of experience is something to be concerned about.

Then again, the motors in 30 year-old Technics SL-1200 turntables still work like new with zero maintenance...

It's all about how it's built.

200 miles is hardly just driving around town....lol. Unless your in a NYC. I could drive across town and back about 5 times where I live.

how many miles on the turntable? seriously, when was the last time you purchased a 33 rpm album? Half of the participants here probably have no idea what you are talking about!

Isn't it sad that in many of the household appliances, what dies is their controller board but not the moving parts? You certainly have a point that it is all about how it's built!

Electric motors last just about forever. Look at the golf carts they use in the Villages, they hardly ever wear out. Batteries do but can be replaced/rebuilt.

If anything electric cars should last longer than their internal combustion cousins.

Also since solar keeps coming down, and down in price charging one from a home station with a solar array on your roof isn't nearly as expensive as it once was and its a good way to stick it to the oil companies.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
how many miles on the turntable? seriously, when was the last time you purchased a 33 rpm album? Half of the participants here probably have no idea what you are talking about!

Not sure if you know what I'm talking about, either. The SL-1200 was essentially the only turntable that serious DJs ever used. They got a LOT of use in VERY challenging environments.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

Also since solar keeps coming down, and down in price charging one from a home station with a solar array on your roof isn't nearly as expensive as it once was and its a good way to stick it to the oil companies.

This could be one of the reasons oil production stays high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back