Rear axle leaking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the rear axle off my 1-ton dually Toyota camper.
Is this leaking or just spraying oil out of the breather tube?

bF3LwcC.jpg

I would take off the filler plug and check the level. If it's full it's probably nothing to worry about. If you have to add a decent amount then you've got a leak somewhere.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I would take off the filler plug and check the level. If it's full it's probably nothing to worry about. If you have to add a decent amount then you've got a leak somewhere.

ok, just need to figure out how raise the dual wheel axle, I need to raise it 6 inches to be able to roll in there.

what is strange is that ONLY the drive side of the axle is coated is oil,

That sure doesn't look like a "leak" to me. Does it leave dribbles on the ground? As others said, check the level. I suspect you'll find its not down much, if any, and that's just residue from the breather vent or a very slight pinion seal leak that's not worth going after.

It could also be a slight weep through one of the welds on the housing. I have seen that before of rear diffs. No reason to worry as it looks like it is pretty dry and just spread out and catching dirt from the road.

I don't think it is leaking enough to leave a spot on the pavement.
Phew, that is good news. I am going to drain and fill with my stash of m1 gear oil.
not sure why I bought a case of gear oil but now I can use them up between the Toyotas and my dmax rear diffy.

FYI: I see the EXACT wet oil stain on both the rear 1 ton axles, 1 is an 84 and the other an 89.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Check the level. Is there a handy curb you can back up on?

I am going to switch out the gear oil.
Nope, it is parked at a Semi storage place, broken asphalt top, kinda loose stuff, not sure if I want to get under it there.

Could it be plugged breather tube?

I was reading that the 30 year breather tubes could be rusted shut.
so the increase in pressure inside the diffy forces oil out.

Are yousure you want to change the gear oil?

Some say to keep it topped off and never change it. My line of thinking is, if there is no drain plug, then just keep it topped up. But thenagain, this is BITOG, so bring out the siphon and do a drain and fill.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Are yousure you want to change the gear oil?

Some say to keep it topped off and never change it. My line of thinking is, if there is no drain plug, then just keep it topped up. But thenagain, this is BITOG, so bring out the siphon and do a drain and fill.

These are new to me vehicles, being 30 year old, I have not idea when the fluid was last changed.

I am not a Toyota expert, but from the pics online I see a drain plug and a fill plug on the rear diffy, so I am in luck.

I found the breather tube part #
115471d1295833941-axle-vent-issue-solution-breather-tubes-adapters.jpg

I am going to swing by the toyo dealership and see I can order
90930-03031 for the rear axles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back