Dealership Using Different Oil Viscosities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try contacting the Lexus customer service or tech department at the HQ and ask them, or the technical advise dept of your favorite oil brand and ask them.
What Lexus recommended in 1995 might not be the same as they would recommend now. But a quality 5w30 oil should be fine, it was twenty years ago and their engines can rack up interplanetary mileage if they are treated well.

Claud.

This thread reminds me of a time when I asked the service manager of a dealership do they follow the viscosity listed in the owners/service manuals. His words were, or to affect "We use precisely the specified viscosities and oil types for each motor vehicle, provided as it's the same as what we have in the big drum out the back"....

Originally Posted By: Swampyy
This thread reminds me of a time when I asked the service manager of a dealership do they follow the viscosity listed in the owners/service manuals. His words were, or to affect "We use precisely the specified viscosities and oil types for each motor vehicle, provided as it's the same as what we have in the big drum out the back"....

And then, some excuse for why you should bring it in for a change, every 3k miles. I avoid dealer service departments like I avoid tatoo parlors. It hurts me just to witness the stupid.

Quote:
I just purchased an '05 LS430 with 67K. I had researched the service history and all the oil changes were done every 5K at the Lexus dealership. Great service history! In going through all the old service invoices I could find in the dash, I found some information I would like to share as it seems really unusual to me. Especially coming from a Lexus dealership. The first oil change at 5K was with 10W-30. Then at 15K it was changed to 5W-40..
How would one know if oil changes were done at all?

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
Originally Posted By: Swampyy

And then, some excuse for why you should bring it in for a change, every 3k miles. I avoid dealer service departments like I avoid tatoo parlors. It hurts me just to witness the stupid.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back