Is this dog damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
LCy61bz.jpg

1999 Alfa 146, the rest of the door is fine, it's the driver side door handle on a RHD model. I thought maybe a dog clawing at the handle to get in.

Last edited:
The handle lifts up, right? Then no ring/fingernails doing damage, it would be under the handle.
I'm going with chipping ice.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Think about how you'd open that handle. 4 fingers under lifting up, thumb touching the edge. No reason for fingernails on the top.

I don't have three inch nails, so I can reach under the handle like a normal person. A person with claws will claw at the handle with four fingers from above and use the thumb to press the release. Ever seen an office worker with really long nails? They have different ways of handling things, including personal hygiene. You can probably find scratches like that on their rear ends.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
looks like someone chipping away at ice with their key.

What I was thinking....

On the last two cars I've owned I have noticed light scratches in the well of the door handle. Not as deep as in the pic, and I'm talking about the style That has a handle with a recessed well behind it. I used to blame my wife (not out loud), and rings, but I've been divorced for 7 years now and it still happens. Yes, I trim my nails. I don't know how it happens to me, but it does. If it is only the drivers door, I'm going to say its the driver causing the damage.

I got this one...

After unlocking the door with the key, the bunch of keys are gripped into the palm of the hand.

After that the palm is mashed against the door handle.

Then the handle is pivoted upwards creating the scratches from the keys on the handle as well as on the door (mostly the door).

grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
I got this one...

After unlocking the door with the key, the bunch of keys are gripped into the palm of the hand.

After that the palm is mashed against the door handle.

Then the handle is pivoted upwards creating the scratches from the keys on the handle as well as on the door (mostly the door).

grin.gif

I like it!

Its usually caused when the driver only has one free hand to unlock the door and open it, which is why it's common.

The door key is usually the culprit as it's still being gripped between the index and thumb when the handle is lifted.

Nobody thinks about it or notices it until waxing/detailing the car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back