Purolator PL14670

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jk_636
Originally Posted By: Lubener
3000 miles is a walk in the park for any filter.

I have posted filters at 3,4,5,7 etc.

Do you have a link to said filters? When I search jk_636 I get other people's torn filters and a rabid defense of the product from fan-boys rushing to reject reality and insert their own. Then again, my search engine is bias against Purolator right?.

dlundblad: Biscuit maybe? It was likely on the way to be tossed the compost pile. (I was likely lazy and said I would do it after cutting open the filter...)

I may start a seperate thread and post pictures en mass. Other people do that and it ends up hijacking people's threads. I don't want to be that guy...

On another note, thanks to those who provided constructive, objective
And respectful comments.
thumbsup2.gif

As for the rest of you...I'll keep posting filters that didn't fail, and maybe one day you will see the light.
cool.gif

Last edited:
No thanks...

This filter is nothing to be proud of. It has the signs of a filter that could tear, wide V type spacing of pleats at the seam and wavy media.

If you want to convince me to use Puro's again post pictures of them with straight, even, tight pleating all the way around... leaving out 2-4 pleats at the seam does not impress me on any filter.

Originally Posted By: webfors
If you want to convince me to use Puro's again post pictures of them with straight, even, tight pleating all the way around... leaving out 2-4 pleats at the seam does not impress me on any filter.
You would have to step up to the PSL line to obtain those results.

No thanks...

This filter is nothing to be proud of. It has the signs of a filter that could tear, wide V type spacing of pleats at the seam and wavy media.

This sounds like a last ditch effort to save an ending cause...
crazy.gif

It has already been well established that wavy media is nothing but cosmetic and does not affect the performance of the filter whatsoever.

Characteristics of a filter that would tear? What the heck does that mean? You are either pregnant or your not, much like the filter either tore or it didnt.
confused.gif

These arguments are getting more and more far fetched, but I do admire the tenacity with which they are defended by the anti-purolator trust.
smirk.gif

No thanks...

crazy.gif

It has already been well established that wavy media is nothing but cosmetic and does not affect the performance of the filter whatsoever.

Characteristics of a filter that would tear? What the heck does that mean? You are either pregnant or your not, much like the filter either tore or it didnt.
confused.gif

These arguments are getting more and more far fetched, but I do admire the tenacity with which they are defended by the anti-purolator trust.
smirk.gif

+ 1

confused.gif
smirk.gif

Good thing purolator dosent make condoms then.

No thanks...

crazy.gif

confused.gif

smirk.gif

lol

cause and effect my friend. I look at the details. You look at things in black and white with no critical thinking involved. We are of different minds is all.

Originally Posted By: tratman2000

confused.gif
smirk.gif

Good thing purolator dosent make condoms then.

LOL

If you want to see a Purolator filter I approve of 100% see my recent post of the L36135 I just posted. That's how *all* filters should be built. And look, no "metal" end caps, no solid center cage, etc, etc.. Why is it perfect? Because the pleating is perfect, the filter media strong and straight, and because it went 10k dang miles!

Don't tell me wavy media and inconsistent wide sloppy pleating is fine. It's not fine. It's sub par.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
This thread is winning...
36.gif

I suppose it depends on what side of the isle you happen to be on.

It is a testament to the fact that Purolator makes products that are indeed capable of proper filtration.

It is also the bane of existence to those that have dedicated their lives to "prove" the inferiority of these filters.

No thanks...

crazy.gif

confused.gif

smirk.gif

lol

cause and effect my friend. I look at the details. You look at things in black and white with no critical thinking involved. We are of different minds is all.

Fun fact of debate: Personal attacks are used by those who are on the losing side of an argument when statistical fact is not available or has failed to convince the target audience. The unfortunate part of this tactic is that it does not fool anyone who has deductive reasoning.

I dont have any capability for critical thinking eh? That may be your opinion, but this is fact: This filter is not torn, and is just another in a series of many examples that are proof positive that these filters are safe for use. I dont need to make personal attacks to prove my point. The same cannot be said for everyone...
smirk.gif

If you want to see a Purolator filter I approve of 100% see my recent post of the L36135 I just posted. That's how *all* filters should be built. And look, no "metal" end caps, no solid center cage, etc, etc.. Why is it perfect? Because the pleating is perfect, the filter media strong and straight, and because it went 10k dang miles!

Don't tell me wavy media and inconsistent wide sloppy pleating is fine. It's not fine. It's sub par.

There is no doubt that the filter you posted looks great.

But wavy pleating is not indicative of a sub par filter. Liquid (in this case oil) is able to be pushed through porous media whether that media is straight up and down or has curved features. Nothing personal, just physics.
cool.gif

Dont confuse fiction with fact.

Here are the facts as we know them:

- Some Purolator filters tear, and I think the list is up to a whole what, 60 filters? (under questionable circumstances at best. I cannot emphasize that enough since all filters are used under different circumstances and variables and it would be too easy to induce or fake a "failure" online to perpetuate a fallacy.) I think this has always been CaptBarkey's position, that it would be very easy for unscrupulous characters to purposely damage a filter in order to push their own agenda forward. Im not accusing anyone, but it is possible.

- Some filters dont, and it would be safe to say that the majority dont.

- My filters haven't EVER torn. How can this be? The problem hasn't made it to Texas? I just take better care of my vehicles than EVERYONE else? Purolator sends me special filters not available to the public? Advanced Auto Parts doesn't carry bad filters? Marvel mystery oil keeps my media lubricated and clean? All are possible, but none are probable. Realistically, it just goes to show that these "problems" are not as widespread as though with agendas would like you to believe.
crackmeup2.gif

What we are left with is the undeniable fact that the filter situation is limited at best, and no matter HOW HARD PEOPLE TRY TO DENY IT, filters are posted consistently that prove they are able to perform as advertised, and as long as these tear free filters are posted, it disproves the myth that all Purolator products are junk.
thumbsup2.gif

- Some Purolator filters tear, and I think the list is up to a whole what, 60 filters? (under questionable circumstances at best. I cannot emphasize that enough since all filters are used under different circumstances and variables and it would be too easy to induce or fake a "failure" online to perpetuate a fallacy.) I think this has always been CaptBarkey's position, that it would be very easy for unscrupulous characters to purposely damage a filter in order to push their own agenda forward. Im not accusing anyone, but it is possible.

Purolators NEVER use to tear ... now they do. Booooo ... not worth using. Game over, period.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
My filters haven't EVER torn. How can this be? The problem hasn't made it to Texas?
Do not kid yourself--they have made it to Texas - Purolator Bought in Texas with 3 Tears

He must be in the Frampire clan, because that is the only way you would know it was purchased in Texas. Nowhere in there does it say the filter was purchased in Texas.

Either way, who cares? You are deflecting and intentionally missing the point. The point is that this problem is minor, isolated and has been blown out of proportion by a fringe minority on the interwebs, hence the lack of response or interest from Purolator.

My filters haven't EVER torn. How can this be? The problem hasn't made it to Texas?
Do not kid yourself--they have made it to Texas - Purolator Bought in Texas with 3 Tears
He must be in the Frampire clan, because that is the only way you would know it was purchased in Texas. Nowhere in there does it say the filter was purchased in Texas. Either way, who cares? You are deflecting and intentionally missing the point. The point is that this problem is minor, isolated and has been blown out of proportion by a fringe minority on the interwebs, hence the lack of response or interest from Purolator.
He who? I bought that filter and it was used in a normal OCI. It is you and a few others who intentionally refuse to acknowledge there is a problem or are too blind to see it. Keep using Purolator--I hope you have no issues as for me I am not too dense to see a problem and use a different brand. And...no deflection; just calling you out on the comment about the problem not being in Texas.

23.gif
07.gif

09.gif

Everyone to their own opinion, maybe he's been lucky as there is a vast majority with filters being ripped apart in normal OCI

He must be in the Frampire clan, because that is the only way you would know it was purchased in Texas. Nowhere in there does it say the filter was purchased in Texas. Either way, who cares? You are deflecting and intentionally missing the point. The point is that this problem is minor, isolated and has been blown out of proportion by a fringe minority on the interwebs, hence the lack of response or interest from Purolator.
He who? I bought that filter and it was used in a normal OCI. It is you and a few others who intentionally refuse to acknowledge there is a problem or are too blind to see it. Keep using Purolator--I hope you have no issues as for me I am not too dense to see a problem and use a different brand. And...no deflection; just calling you out on the comment about the problem not being in Texas.

Blind leading the blind...

You and Zeeosix are missing the point.

IF the problem was as widespread as you say it is, everyone (including myself) should have experienced it by now.

I havent. No one I know personally has experienced it. That means that either A) The problem is not in Texas or B) It is not the pandemic that you make it out to be.

Option A is a farce. It doesn't exist. It is only there to prove the validity of option B.

I (and many others, whether you want to acknowledge that fact or not) continue to use Purolator because they offer outstanding filtration (I believe the Pureone has the highest filtration of any canister filter on the market) and are completely safe to use. You should not be so brazen as to proclaim all Purolator users as "dense." That is not only arrogant, but assanine at best. Not using a filter because some unknown stranger on the internet told you that it may tear, because their neighbors brothers sisters cousins husbands Purolator classic tore after only 12k miles...that is dense.
33.gif

Stop blowing this out of proportion. A couple filters tore. Big deal. For every 60 that "failed" 60,000 were just fine. And of course I am making those numbers up because no one knows what the ratio is, and frankly at this point, enough filters have been proven safe that it really no longer matters.

How about that Fram Ultra?

Last edited:
Blind leading the blind...
Right--you are blind.

How about that Fram Ultra?
Works just fine to 15K and beyond. You should try one and quit messing around with those cheesy 3K OCIs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back