Toyota Tacoma 30k Maintenance Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I have a quick question since I am performing my 30k maintenance. I have a 2013 Tacoma 2.7L manual transmission 4x4.

I have done the following so far.

1. Drained rear differential fluid. Filled it back up with Redline 75w90 gear oil until it started to drip out the fill hole. I let it drip out and replaced the fill plug. It took just a tiny bit more than 3 quarts.

2. Did the transfer case the same process as the rear diff but with Redline MT-90. It took just over 1 quart before coming out the fill hole.

3. Did the same process to the manual transmission with MT-90. It took roughly 2.5 quarts.

I will do the front differential the same way if this is the correct process. Also, can I leave the redline in there longer than 30k? That seems way short to me for synthetic fluid. But I don't really know.

I also changed the oil with TGMO 0w20 and the air filter.

Thanks guys.

I have a 2005 Tacoma with the locking rear diff. I've had Redline gear oil for 5 years & 50,000 miles now. Oil is still doing its job well

What does the owner's manual say? I can't imagine all of those fluids need drained at 30k??!!?!?!

Ya I got it straight from the owners manual. It specifies both differentials, transfer case, and manual transmission oil to be changed every 30k miles.

The fluid will last longer and the MT 90 works well in the Tacomas tranny. My son has a 2006 tacoma like your setup the 2.7 is a super engine.

Ok. I think I'll go for 100k with the redline.

Is my process of performing the maintenance correct though?

Thanks for the input. Ps? Flush my power steering fluid?

I had a question about my process of draining and filling the transmission, differentials and transfer case.

Originally Posted By: 13Tacoma
Thanks for the input. Ps? Flush my power steering fluid?

I had a question about my process of draining and filling the transmission, differentials and transfer case.

Maybe yours has electronic powersteering

On both my yodas I sucked out the PS tank and refilled with Maxlife atf. Not a flush, barely 0.2L. Tightened up the steering. Just an fyi, it feels much different now.

This was just a......IMO.....since your changing out important fluids. PS fluid is often overlooked. You may be quite surprised by the dark color that comes out from the pump, reservoir and lines with your initial flush. I exchange my fluid every 30k to 40K with synthetic M1, ATF since my PS calls for ATF Dex II.

Please don't take offense to IMO suggestions.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
This was just a......IMO.....since your changing out important fluids. PS fluid is often overlooked. You may be quite surprised by the dark color that comes out from the pump, reservoir and lines with your initial flush. I exchange my fluid every 30k to 40K with synthetic M1, ATF since my PS calls for ATF Dex II.

Please don't take offense to IMO suggestions.

No problem, and no offense taken. I just was wondering about the suggestion since my post was about the process to drain and fill the diffs and trans which no one actually answered. I got a lot of suggestions unrelated to my actual question.

I would be comfortable running Redline at least 50k-75k miles, although some are ok with 100k. I've swapped my diffs and transfer in my GX with Redline fluid and will be changing it at around 50k. I think this is the best balance of prudence and $$.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back