Good Brand for DIY Oil changing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Royal Purple and Bose = phoney upscale overpriced jazz for the uninformed.

At least leave that oil and filter in 7K miles. Over changing the oil DOES NOT HELP YOU ENGINE GO FARTHER.

99.99% of Autoparts guys and AUtoshop an,d even, engine builders don't know anything beyond the most basic thing about motor oil.

I posted in Tools Section because For sure Looking for a Decent Brand of Tools to help Change out the Oil and Tinker with, Any suggested Brands I should look into would be great. Thank you so much for all the info!

I do plan on only changing the others Cars at the 15% mark. Since most are low mileage cars, The Honda 2007 Pilot However I bought used from the Dealer and had Higher millage on it.

So My concerns are with the Pilot is, I do a lot of Spearfishing and Each trip is at least 500 Miles there and back. I really want that Car in top shape for successful Dive trips. I have to Take I-80 to I-5 then rest the Way is Highway 20 which is twist and turns at 25mph some parts and Steep uphill.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CabKing65

So My concerns are with the Pilot is, I do a lot of Spearfishing and Each trip is at least 500 Miles there and back. I really want that Car in top shape for successful Dive trips. I have to Take I-80 to I-5 then rest the Way is Highway 20 which is twist and turns at 25mph some parts and Steep uphill.

Highway miles are easy on the car and the oil!

I posted in Tools Section because For sure Looking for a Decent Brand of Tools to help Change out the Oil and Tinker with, Any suggested Brands I should look into would be great. Thank you so much for all the info!

I do plan on only changing the others Cars at the 15% mark. Since most are low mileage cars, The Honda 2007 Pilot However I bought used from the Dealer and had Higher millage on it.

i

CabKing...

Those long trips are perfect for running longer OCIs. The twists and turns won't negate the benefits by much at all. Personally, I would run SuperTech or any other conventional found in WalMart. Look for the rollbacks at the store and don't hesitate to run for 5k. If you're concerned about the brand, I think the Mobil 5000 is in the low teens for a 5 at jug.

My Hondas like the Fram Tough Guard filters... But I've run Wix, Purolators, Bosch,... You name it. Tough Guards seem to work well for me as far as price is concerned. Keep an eye on the Advance Auto type stores online... They seem to always have some sort of discount code for filters, plugs,... Just not for the oil itself, I've found

As for tools, work your way into it... Again, WalMart has the basics for oil changes... Filter wrench, ramps or jacks, sockets for plugs. Or Harbor Freight - either online or there might be a store near you. You can walk away from a Harbor Freight store with a cart full of toys for not too much money at all. Once you "get into it" more, you can always step up to something higher end but only if the basics falls short.

My .02

Last edited:
Looking to buy a Decent brand that will work for Basic Oil changing for my family's 4 different cars all Honda and One Ford Truck. What can some of you more experienced guys recommend?

I plan on changing my Oil every 3k-3500 Miles, Honda Pilot with 165k on it now.
What Brand of Oil can you guys recommend as well? O=Riley guys say Castrol OIl is Decent.

Also looking to DIY Transmission fluid ever 15-30k as well.

Hi CabKing65 – Motor oil isn't typically a 'one size fits all' product purchase. To make proper recommendations for your four vehicles we'd need their year, make, model and mileage. As an example: post-2001 Hondas and post-2001 Ford pick-ups call for a 5W-20 viscosity grade; however, around 2011-ish, Hondas started calling for a 0W-20s viscosity grade and some Ford pick-up trucks went to a 5W-30 (depending on which engine your vehicle has - some did stay with the 5W20 recommendation).

Additionally, what type of motor oil have you been using previously? If you're open to using a full synthetic in all four vehicles, you might consider Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5W-20 Full Synthetic motor oil (We made this recomendation based on the 165,000 miles on your Honda Pilot). Using a high mileage oil in a non-high mileage engine is not a problem if your other vehicles are newer or have less mileage. In case you weren't aware, the Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage motor oil is our newest product to join the Pennzoil family and has been designed to deliver less oil burn off than other high mileage oils, as well as help reduce leaks and oil consumption. It is also proven to keep pistons up to 40% cleaner than the toughest industry standards! Hope some of this information was helpful, but we'd be more than willing to make a full recommendation if you provide us with all of your vehicle specs. - The Pennzoil Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back