New gun safe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a new safe delivered today. A liberty Colonial 50. Anyhow it has a mechanical lock and as soon as the delivery people left I shut the door locked it then put in the combination to open it and nothing.. It didn't work. I read the directions (afterwords of course) that you should test the combination with the door open.. After hours of playing with it I finally got it opened. Combination sent from the factory was 3 digits off for the middle number... Word to the wise.. test your new safes with the door open.

Neighbor had his pistol safe stolen. They think it was children's friends. He is pretty upset he didn't bolt it down.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
Neighbor had his pistol safe stolen. They think it was children's friends. He is pretty upset he didn't bolt it down.

The first thing I did was bolt mine to the wall studs.

I wonder if I could tip 1,000 pounds over? Kind of a challenge to find out how weak the bottom is.

Originally Posted By: nwjones18
I'm not going to bolt this safe down, but it weighs 1,000lbs empty.

Never underestimate the determination of a thief.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
I wonder if I could tip 1,000 pounds over? Kind of a challenge to find out how weak the bottom is.

It's more of a question of how high or low the center of gravity is. A bit like comparing a SUV to a Corvette. Take both up to 100 MPH. Crank both steering wheels to the lock. The Vette will spin out. The SUV will roll like a soccer ball, because even though it's heavier, the center of gravity is much too high. Add a lift kit to it and it will roll like a golf ball hit in a parking lot.

Originally Posted By: Blaze
Just like changing your differential fluid...make sure you can loosen the fill plug before you drain the fluid.

Yeah make sure to change the diff fluid in your new gun safe. Don't want dirty lubricants in that thing.

If a lock and safe company can bring it in your house in 10 minutes it can be stolen just as easy. The one I talked about being tipped over was a big liberty. They used a chain and a come-a-long to tip it. These crimals knew exactly what they were doing. If you go to the trouble to buy a safe please bolt it down!

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
If you go to the trouble to buy a safe please bolt it down!

Many times it's just not that simple. Here in the Phoenix, Arizona area most all newer houses are built on slabs. Most municipalities code that plumbing lines are run in or right under the slab. If you don't know exactly where that plumbing is, you run the risk of hitting it when you drill into the slab to anchor your safe.

You also run the risk of cracking your slab doing this. That's a lot of risk to undertake to bolt down a gun safe. I'm not saying it can't be done. But one has to exercise a lot of planning and care before doing it. Or you may very well wind up with a water park in your living room. And most home owners insurance policies don't pay out for such self induced, foolish mistakes.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: nwjones18
I'm not going to bolt this safe down, but it weighs 1,000lbs empty.

Never underestimate the determination of a thief.

Yeah, I've had bolted down ATM's stolen. Not much will stop an experienced crook. When you watch them on video, It's surprising how fast they can "work".

Good point to consider but that's just something to find out not a reason to not bolt it down. My house has exactly those problems but I know where the lines are so I had a little advantage. Stay away from the kitchen, baths and service entry to the house and you'll have a good start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back