HONDA variable cylinders

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm interested in a V6 Honda vehicle but, I'm wondering if there are longevity issues with these engines that unload 3 cylinders depending on load requirements? Ed

My Pilot has VCM. Honda recently settled a class action suit regarding these engines burning oil and prematurely fouling out spark plugs as a result. Powertrain warranties on affected cars have been extended to 8 yrs/unlimited miles. There have also been issues with motor mounts failing due to the extra load of cylinder deactivation/activation.

Personally, I'd avoid VCM Hondas. It's too complex a system devised to squeeze out a few extra MPGs. I worry about its longevity in my Pilot. The system isn't as smooth as Honda advertises; there's a noticeable rumble and vibration as it engages/disengages. The best way to describe it is that it's like driving across those rumble strips on the highway shoulder. You often got to let off the gas/accelerate out of the roughness.

Last edited:
Honda/Toyota reliability only comes with their tested-since-the-paleolithic-era I4s, if you wanted reliability, you shouldn't get a V6.

Last edited:
Yeah, I heard of problems with the deactivation.

They should've just offered a 4-cylinder engine.

Also, what Honda V6 are you considering? Only some of them were available with the VCM, and of course, the effects could vary slightly depending on the model. It was never available on the Ridgeline.

Originally Posted By: horse123
Honda/Toyota reliability only comes with their tested-since-the-paleolithic-era I4s, if you wanted reliability, you shouldn't get a V6.

Maybe not a new Honda V6... I think they all have VCM now...

My 2007 V6 WITHOUT VCM has had exactly ZERO issues over 110 000 miles...

Last edited:
In 1980 my new Cadillac Coupe de Ville had a 4-6-8 cylinder deactivation system. It didn't cause any wear issues, but I didn't like anyway.

Z

Originally Posted By: zray
In 1980 my new Cadillac Coupe de Ville had a 4-6-8 cylinder deactivation system. It didn't cause any wear issues, but I didn't like anyway.

Z

I thought those engines never wore out? Just never ran long enough to suffer wear problems, if memory serves.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: zray

Z

I thought those engines never wore out? Just never ran long enough to suffer wear problems, if memory serves.

Mine had about 225,000 on it by 1987. I traded it in then. It was dependable and great for going across country.

Z

Good engines the J series.

Not sure if it is available yet with KTuner or Hondata, but perhaps a tune can turn off VCM.

I work on a lot of Hondas, not for a living, but enough to own an HDS unit with the ability to flash a PCM. The last one was a 2006 Pilot with VCM. 126,000 miles and in for a timing belt and full tune up. The owner was having random MIL events with multiple cylinder misfire codes stored. There is a TSB for at least 2006-2008 V6 equipped vehicles with VCM. This requires the valve lash to be adjusted and an update to the PCM. Otherwise this vehicle was neglected, but still runs well with even compression.

You didn't mention a year or model, but that is my most recent experience. I personally won't buy a lower mileage/new vehicle with VCM. If it's 100k+ with no history of VCM related mechanical problems, I just might be a buyer.

Some are good, and never have problems, and others are nothing but problems. I'm not sold on "Earth Dreams" yet either.

My folks' 2014 Acura MDX has the new generation VCM, which can run on either 3 or 4 cylinders, in addition to all 6. You simply can't tell that it's not always running on 6 cylinders. I guess I have to be honest and say that I don't know that it actually does ever switch -- there is no "eco" light or anything letting you know that it's switched.

The common denominator with VCM engines and trouble is long OCIs. To be fair, most owners were following the Maintenance Minder. In my personal opinion, Honda didn't set an appropriate OCI on these engines. BITOG-types that I know with these engines (they change their own oil at moderate intervals) never have any trouble, even well past 100k miles. One lady at church had a 2008 Odyssey VCM engine get replaced under warranty. I asked her when the last time she had her oil changed was. "I don't remember." Mm-hmm.

If you own a VCM engine, change the oil with synthetic oil every 5k miles, and you'll have a fine-running engine for many years.

I've got one with the v6 and 2nd gen vcm and no problems at all. It seems to hunt between number of cylinders in hilly terrain, but otherwise is smooth. I was initially concerned with the vcm but nothing like these complaints occured. Must be lucky...

I think mine is first generation. 10 years, 146,000 miles and best engine I have ever owned. I can tell when it switches, but my wife cannot.

ref

I was thinking about the 2015 3.5L VC engine. I surmise it is a rough running 3 cyl engine since Honda uses special engine mounts. Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back