2015 rental Corvette review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bright yellow, with blue plexiglass roof. 8 speed Automatic transmission. 460HP, 0-60 in 3.8 seconds.

First thing, this thing is as docile as humanly possible. The engine is butter smooth and very quiet (At least until it's floored) . The throttle response is clearly tuned for economy. Half throttle produces enough acceleration to pull ahead of normal stoplight traffic, but not much more. It's not sluggish, but it's certainly not lively. 3/4 throttle gets you some more power, but it really takes full throttle to get any form of real acceleration. At which point, it goes like crazy, almost as fast as a Tesla Dual Motor sedan.

Turning the traction control off results in very slight wheelspin in 1st gear, with the throttle smoothly pushed down. In other words, it's very easy to launch hard, without dramatics.

The seats are very comfortable. The interior is as nice as any modern mid level car. Which is to say, very good. The interior is also very quiet, with top on or off.

The ride is sports car firm with no rattles no shakes and no harshness. It's pretty darn good.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
blue plexiglass roof.

I would absolutely HATE that (is this a clear plexiglass roof,like a targa?). They don't offer glass?

How much to rent per day?

Could you manual shift with thumbs and would it catch rubber in....how many gears?

Do you still have it. Can you get any audio of full throttle?

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that car has different settings that affect throttle response, and a few other settings. It probably has a Sport Mode that will increase the sensitivity on the throttle.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
blue plexiglass roof.

I would absolutely HATE that (is this a clear plexiglass roof,like a targa?). They don't offer glass?

The blue tinted roof is very nice. gives the feeling of openness without being too bright in the Florida mid day sun. It does not seem to allow the heat to get in, but does let some (a nice amount of) light in. It is absolutely not too bright in the sun. I've got to admit, I like that roof.

I drove it in sport mode, did not try the tour mode. The throttle response is absolutely benign. If you drive a Camry, you will feel right at home and think the 'Vette's throttle response is exactly the same. Ha! At least until you mash the pedal. At which point, you have instantly exceeded the speed limit.

I thought the car was darn near perfect. The only change I'd make would be to make the throttle much more lively (think linear and responsive) .

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
How much to rent per day?

Could you manual shift with thumbs and would it catch rubber in....how many gears?

Do you still have it. Can you get any audio of full throttle?

List price is $250/day. I got it on special...

It shifts wonderfully. The 8 speed automatic is actually world class. It shifts very rapidly when operated manually. It does not "catch rubber" in any gear. Even with traction control off, it does not spin the tires much in first. But, it does open the throttle at exactly the traction limit. Meaning, it's putting down all possible power. That's absolutely perfect AFAIC.

Sorry, it's gone, so no audio of the exhaust. You'd be disappointed in a recording anyway. The car is completely silent until floored. Even at full throttle, it's not loud, but at least it sounds like a V8.

Last edited:
Excellent review, thanks for posting. I think the ability of the Vette to get out of the hole is one of its greatest achievements. But GM truly makes one of the most effective traction and stability management systems available in any brand.

I love the 'track' setting, it gives you just a bit of help way out at the edges of the performance envelope when you need it but mostly leaves you alone....

I hate the interior and kind of like the exterior of the new Vette.

Too many vents, scoops, etc... on the new Vette. The back of the Vette is very ugly. Looks like the Batmobile.

At least since its a Vette if you bought one their are a million aftermarket tunes to update the throttle response.

GM knows their customer, the average buyer is probably around 50 and just wants to cruise around. Anyone who wants something else will tune it.

The new Z06 is on my list of toy cars that I want to get once the truck is paid for. I'd use it as a daily driver in the summer.

Maybe I'll wait for another market correction. When times are good everyone buys a Corvette, a Harley, and a boat. When times are 2008 like you can pick them up for a song. Since GM produces them like skittles they don't retain any value whatsoever.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I hate the interior and kind of like the exterior of the new Vette.

Too many vents, scoops, etc... on the new Vette. The back of the Vette is very ugly. Looks like the Batmobile.

Really? I'd say that I like everything about the interior. I found it very comfy, quiet and well made.

It does not "catch rubber" in any gear.

That's quite disappointing. My old POS 75 with a 350 can bark the heck out of second making the rear jump to the right a few inches.

Apparently, they've engineered the brutality out of these things.

That's quite disappointing. My old POS 75 with a 350 can bark the heck out of second making the rear jump to the right a few inches.

It is an older crowd that mainly drives this type of car.

Yes, no question it's had the brutality dialed out of it. However, it's shifting is so much better than conventional automatics, (even highly modified ones) that it's worth it. Looks like gear shifts are at 150 milliseconds. That's stinkin' fast.

It's as perfect an automatic transmission as I've ever driven. Including various Ferrari models with the dual clutch setup (that I really don't care for)

I'm 100% sure a "tune" would turn this thing into the brutal beast it needs to be.

blue plexiglass roof.

No glass tops since the 70's/80's T-tops. Even my 94 corvette with the blue clear top is lexan. Glass would be too heavy and not as safe. Lexan/plastic is superior over glass.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
blue plexiglass roof.

No glass tops since the 70's/80's T-tops. Even my 94 corvette with the blue clear top is lexan. Glass would be too heavy and not as safe. Lexan/plastic is superior over glass.

Curious as to what happens to that plastic over time (especially parked in the sun every day). Will it turn brittle,yellow,and opaque over time like plastic headlights? just seems to me that real glass would be superior to some cheap plastic.

Curious as to what happens to that plastic over time (especially parked in the sun every day). Will it turn brittle,yellow,and opaque over time like plastic headlights? just seems to me that real glass would be superior to some cheap plastic.

I looked at a 2008 vette with blue plastic roof about 2 years ago. It was just starting to show a hint of age. And, I know it sat outside the entire time. It was optically perfect, but it needed to be polished. And, it seemed like there was a tiny bit of crazing near the edges. I mean tiny, as in, very hard to notice.

Clearly, it had a few more years in it.

Yes, no question it's had the brutality dialed out of it. However, it's shifting is so much better than conventional automatics, (even highly modified ones) that it's worth it. Looks like gear shifts are at 150 milliseconds. That's stinkin' fast.

It's as perfect an automatic transmission as I've ever driven. Including various Ferrari models with the dual clutch setup (that I really don't care for)

I'm 100% sure a "tune" would turn this thing into the brutal beast it needs to be.

Exactly. And no one anywhere should brag about poor traction. the amazing thing is that this car can put the power to the ground instead of a smoke show.

Much more effective...

Originally Posted By: Anthony
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that car has different settings that affect throttle response, and a few other settings. It probably has a Sport Mode that will increase the sensitivity on the throttle.

This is true, and if that's not enough then there are tuners out there that can improve the throttle response even more. As far as not catching rubber between gears, a lot of that is due to torque management. GM programs their automatic performance cars so that they don't shift so hard into the next gear in order to reduce the stress on the drivetrain. Part of this "detuning" includes having the engine's spark advance curve being retarded on the shift points. So a good tuner can really wake up these cars a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back