Are we even getting anywhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking thru a 1965 Ford Mustang manual. It states 10w-30 and a Rotunda oil filter is good for 6000 mile/6 month OCI.

Where are we now? My 98 Saturn twin cam specced a 6k oci.

well yes, the 90's cars i had all specified 7500 mile OCI and that's all i did. then the toyota sludge happened and we learned 5000 mile was the max on regular oil. now it takes "fully synthetic" 0w20 to jump to 10000 miles, or even "fuller synthetic" (M1EP or Amsoil SS) to go beyond. my guess is current engines run hotter pistons.

Originally Posted By: Neely97

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
They had 10W-30 in 1965 ?

Yes we did .

We also had electric lights and indoor toilets that flushed.

Back in a day a car would last 100k tops, today with modern synthetic you could do 30k OCI, and it would still make 100k. But we need at least double of that today.

And as I noted before...in the early 70's when I lived in Illinois (grad student), a lot of the guys I knew with pickups all ran straight 20 weight year round to get better mileage and faster starts. Never seemed to have any adverse affect on those vehicles.

I believe you are spot spot on with the hotter pistons theory.. And I think these pepped up 4 cylinder motors are going to give people A LOT of grief if they don't change their oil soon enough. And even with full synthetics I wouldn't go much beyond 5k to 7k miles. A motor turning 3500 rpm cruising on the interstate at 70 mph really adds up exponentially over time. Much less how these motors turn high rpm getting up to speed.

I bought a new Mustang in 66 with the 289 and yep, used 10w-30.

My dad's 1980 fairmont sales literature bragged about long OCIs, 7500-10k IIRC for "standard use", and 30k tuneups. All "way better" than a 70 fairlane with 12k tuneups (points!) and 3k OCIs, which I blame on leaded gas.

Though it struck me, and strikes me, as two arbitrary points chosen by engineers and marketing. Since the car didn't have markedly improved performance over its predecessor, they went with the "it's cheap" route. Sold my dad...

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
well yes, the 90's cars i had all specified 7500 mile OCI and that's all i did. then the toyota sludge happened and we learned 5000 mile was the max on regular oil. now it takes "fully synthetic" 0w20 to jump to 10000 miles, or even "fuller synthetic" (M1EP or Amsoil SS) to go beyond. my guess is current engines run hotter pistons.

+1. We were doing 7500 in the 90s too. It's the auto repair industry that makes you want to think that all service is severe service. It's just not true.

There have been some problems since with sludge monsters and what not, but in the end, things are getting better, but that doesn't mean they have been all bad in the last half century of progress...

Yes. People use to use 20 grade back then, too.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

I think that was a Toyota specific issue - the hot pistons causing sludge. But modern vehicles do run "hotter". Which, I think, is a good thing.

It's kind of neat at the Syracuse Nationals car show to see the older cars that have 6000 mile oil recommendations.

Originally Posted By: ecotourist

Yeah, 10W-30 in the summer, 5W-20 in the winter.

No, not 5w-20. It was 20w-20.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

Yes we did .

No way !!!

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

Yes we did .

if that's the case, are we not getting anywhere indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back