Best oil for a long (2.5k) highway run with an HD TC88

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad needs to take a 2004 Ultra Gilde (mostly stock, no real hot mods) from Chicago to Seattle asap. What's a great readily available oil for that use? Mostly blue highways, not interstate. No reason to waste that beautiful trip on interstate. So steady running for days at 55 tro 75 mph for 2.5k miles. Love synthetics in my cars so shoot me those options if it helps.

He and I did this same thing back in 2005 with me on a Honda classic SOHC 750k and him on the same dresser. Now that we are both a decade older tweaking aforehand makes more sense; I had some annoying moments with that 750K back then.

Last edited:
Good in tight Japanese or Euro engines (of which I have had a lifetime of many and love), or also great in HD TC's, too?

Originally Posted By: hpb
Not to sound facetious, but if he's had the bike for 10 years now, surely he's figured out which oil he likes in it?

This site is about offering advice and helping people make wise choices with respect to their vehicles. If you have nothing to offer, then turn your computer off and find something constructive to do with your life.

Originally Posted By: dernp
Not to sound facetious, but if he's had the bike for 10 years now, surely he's figured out which oil he likes in it?

This site is about offering advice and helping people make wise choices with respect to their vehicles. If you have nothing to offer, then turn your computer off and find something constructive to do with your life.

It sounded like good advice to me..

OP, if your Dad has had good results with the oil he's been using, I would likely keep using it.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
My dad needs to take a 2004 Ultra Gilde (mostly stock, no real hot mods) from Chicago to Seattle asap. What's a great readily available oil for that use? Mostly blue highways, not interstate. No reason to waste that beautiful trip on interstate. So steady running for days at 55 tro 75 mph for 2.5k miles. Love synthetics in my cars so shoot me those options if it helps.

He and I did this same thing back in 2005 with me on a Honda classic SOHC 750k and him on the same dresser. Now that we are both a decade older tweaking aforehand makes more sense; I had some annoying moments with that 750K back then.

Mobil 1 v twin. S & S filter . Second choice Harley syn and a Harley filter .

Jake

All the oils mentioned above will do the job. I tend to favor Valvoline in the conventional flavor since I change often, not that there is anything wrong with the synthetic versions.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
All the oils mentioned above will do the job. I tend to favor Valvoline in the conventional flavor since I change often, not that there is anything wrong with the synthetic versions.

Yea forgot valvoline v twin , my buddy uses it in his sporty . He drops it at about 3000 or so .

Jake

Mobil1 Vtwin 20w50...Autozone...HD filter. Mobil1 75w140 in the trans. Mobil1 4T 10w40 in the primary.

Last edited:
I will add that some people love the 15w50 Mobil 1 for Harley engines. Pretty cheap at about 27 bucks for 5 quarts at wal mart.

If your going to run 2500 miles and change the oil and especially all highway miles then any 15w50 or 20w50 oil will be just fine in a harley. By any I mean gas, diesel, or motorcycle engine oil.

If your nervous about using just any 20w50 and want a motorcycle specific oil then the best bang for buck would be valvoline conventional 20w50 at walmart for $3.99 a quart, would even get you a 5,000 mile all highway mile oci.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dernp

I do have something to offer - guy has owned the bike for a decade, and done the same trip on it before, so one could logically assume he's well aware of what oil/s it does well on. My response to the OP was made in a friendly, polite manner, it's a shame you don't have the ability to do the same
smile.gif

This sort of trip is easy one the oil.

BUT please if not already checked then disassemble and check the cam chain tensioner shoes. some of these fail as early as 15K miles. They have a factory problem with the pressed together crank going out of true. This puts more strain on the cam chain system. That can shred the shoes. Many are good, and stay good. Others die quick. Inspection is the only way to know. You can get an oil filter cutter and look for debris. Not as reliable as real inspection.

Talk to a mechanic, or inspect yourself. Lots of stuff on the internet.

Hopefully it is upgraded to hydraulic or gear drive.

Rod

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr

Hopefully it is upgraded to hydraulic or gear drive.

Rod

Doh now you gone and done did it. Haha. That one controversial Harley topic there, lots o' strong opinions out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back